1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help deciding a finish for an upcoming p bass build.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Apr 2, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i want to do a fender flat finish for this p bass project that already has a body on the way for it. i say a flat fender finish just because i don’t want to deal with any unforeseen error making the finished product off the mark. that’s also why i’m getting a white 60’s pickguard with it as well. so no sunburst, or metallic, or tort guard with white or etc etc. i’m debating between dakota red nitro, or black nitro. and i’m strictly going by 60s era fender dupont finishes. but i feel like i’m maybe missing something... like a color i didn’t think about, and if not i’d just like to hear other’s thoughts on how those two finishes may look. i’m planning on keeping the pickup/bridge covers on.

Attached Files:

2. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    some other pics (i’m an avid photo hoarder)

Attached Files:

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Paisley?

Seriously, CAR would be my choice.

KaraQ and bon viesta like this.
  4. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    is dakota red about the same shade of red as car, minus the metallic?

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Not really, they're different shades.

The red on CAR is transparent to the bronze (early) or silver-ish (later) undercoat so it's a completely different process. Since the red in CAR is transparent, the saturation of the red in CAR depends on how many coats of red are applied. Then there are the clear top coats to give CAR depth.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    what fretboard wood?

bon viesta likes this.
  7. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    some additional solid 60s colors include, but are not limited to, fiesta red, shell pink, surf green, (sea)foam green, daphne blue, sonic blue.
    i can name metallic colors too. any colour you like.

porterbass and bon viesta like this.
  8. MObasshead

MObasshead Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Missouri
    Nitro Taos blue w/ a mint pickguard

hypercarrots likes this.
  9. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Red. You're going to go with a white pickguard. But, red and black is sexy as hell

funkinbottom likes this.
  10. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    Definitely red, for sure :thumbsup:

funkinbottom and bon viesta like this.
  11. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    If it’s between the red and black I’d take the red on a P, I just think it looks better on that bass. Personal opinion of course...

bon viesta likes this.
  12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Dakota red

bon viesta likes this.
  13. Surf green looks cool with a white guard. (and tort and black....) Surf green p.jpg Surf green PBassAO6RSG-large.jpg Surf green p 2.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    The lighter the color the easier it will be to get a good finish, white being The easiest and black the hardest, I have developed this painting method of lots of coats hand applied sanded down between coats, and polished with bees wax, if of interest let me know and I will elaborate

15. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    glad to know most people agree with red!!

16. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    rosewood! mid 60s style p bass, gonna use musikraft to get a rosewood veener style neck.

17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Gotta agree with Durham52. Only because I feel there are so many red and black basses out there... the surf green has a cool vintage vibe and isn't overdone. Just not sure how flat a finish you're talking about so I can't imagine a flat surf green.

If it's limited to a choice of either red or black... I'd go red... then probably mid project change my mind and go completely off and do this..
    upload_2021-4-3_7-50-37.png

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dakota six days a week and twice on Sundays.

funkinbottom and bon viesta like this.
  19. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Red. No question.

bon viesta likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021