1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrMoo, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MrMoo

MrMoo

Sep 27, 2013
    Hi guys
    I'm sure you've seen this post 1000 times before, so apologies in advance. I'm a guitarist who's always been fascinated with bass so I have decided I would like to get myself one.
    so here is the $1mil question. which one shall I go for? keep in mind I don't want to spend a lot. My budget is about £150-200 ($250-350) for a second hand one
    Do you think I can get something that doesn't sound like a tin of baked beans?
    I have seen a few affordable ones and would like to pick your brain
    Squier Affinity J
    Squier Vintage Modified J
    Squier Standard P
    Cort GB24
    Cort GB34
    Cort 4b
    Peavey Zodiac
    I'm also planning to get a Marshall MB15 amp. A friend has ones and sounds pretty sweet.
    I'd really appreciate any pointers, and do feel free to suggest any other basses along these price bracket.
    thanks
    G

2. onefallinghope

onefallinghope

Nov 25, 2012
    Groton, CT
    There really is no specific answer. You've really got to get out and play some to get a feel for what you're looking for.

Now, if I personally were looking for a bass in that price range I'd be considering basses in the Squier Classic Vibe series, or used MIM Fenders.

If the narrow "fast" neck is your thing, there is also a million and a half used Ibanez Soundgears that fall into that price range.

3. MrMoo

MrMoo

Sep 27, 2013
    thanks a lot. I was hoping you could point me towards something with warm tones amongts those one I have mentioned

4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    The Squiers are much better today than their history might suggest. Many in the low budget gang speak very favorably of SX basses. But as was said, you got to go out there and get your hands on some examples. The internet is no substitute for that

5. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    If warm tones are what you're after, I'd recommend a Squier VM Precision, a set of good flatwound strings and a good setup.

6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

+1