Help. How would you interpret installation date on this battery label?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Mar 11, 2017.

1. I bought a used boat in 2013. The boat was built in September of 2001. I was in the engine room topping off the water in the batteries and noticed the batteries had install date of 9-1. Maybe it is just a happenstance that the batteries have the same install date as when the boat was built or perhaps they were replace in September of 2011?
    I am thinking there is no way batteries could last 15-1/2 years. ? The Marine batteries are still putting out a strong current. What do you think?

Port engine start battery.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. You can pretty well guarantee they date from 2000 on.

But if they put out the current there's nothing wrong with them. Afaik they store fine when kept charged up. Charge and discharge cycles ''wear'' them out, the deeper the discharge cycle the less they like it.

3. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
  4. Well...it says on that battery " Remove proper month and year tabs to show date sold"

The tabs removed are :- September and 1.

So I would guess that's what it is. September 2001.

MJ5150 likes this.
  5. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    That would be my might bet too.

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    If it's just the cranking battery it could well be that old and still working fine.

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Because the only digits available are 0-9.
    I'd be assuming 'this decade' so September 2011.

megafiddle likes this.
  8. For the same reason I assume the original decade. I think it would be marked 10 11 12... if from this decade. There's an idea. Find a new one and see if it says 17 or 7.

9. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    My guess too.
    I doubt a car/boat battery, under any circumstances, is going to last 16 years.
    I'm sure it's possible to build batteries that last decades but then the manufacturers
    wouldn't get to sell you 4-5 batteries over a 16 year period.
    The space probe, Voyager 1 left earth 36 years ago and it's batteries are still working and in extremely harsh conditions.

10. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    My thought is that the battery connectors look old and dirty, but the batteries don't look quite as old. I'd say 2011, but I wouldn't put money on it.

11. I think the batteries in question are deep cycle for powering lights, refrigerator and sound system at anchor. A big difference in lifestyle to auto starting do it all batteries.

12. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    How are those battery terminals so super clean? They are in a boat which is around water and there is zero corrosion on them?

13. Yes, these batteries are dedicated to starting-cranking the diesel engines only. Lights, refrigeration, etc are on another bank of batteries.

The boat is always in the water. When at dock, the boat is plugged into shore power. The electrical system has built chargers so the batteries are always being topped off. When at sea, the main engine alternators and/or 13.5 kw generator are charging the batteries.

Just thinking if these batteries are from 2001, they should be replaced before they go bad.
    If the are from 2011, I don't want to replace them yet.

14. I clean them from time to time.

fhm555 likes this.
  15. Cranking diesels is heavy duty, glowing up the cylinders not light either but way better for batteries than cold cranking. I would get them load tested before chucking them out for new.

Stewie26 likes this.
  16. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The "batteries" on board Voyager 1 run on Plutonium. The probe is nuclear powered and will theoretically continue to generate electricity as long as the Plutonium is still radioactive.

17. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    In fact, there are batteries commonly available in stores that are far superior in performance and longevity to the ones most people buy. I buy them, even though they cost more, because I consider it to be money well spent.

Yet almost everyone else buys batteries based on price alone. The superior battery is ignored while the cheap junk flies off the shelves. You can't blame manufacturers for that.

18. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Suspended Supporting Member

What usually kills lead-acid batteries is the build up of lead sulphate (that crusty, powdery white stuff) inside the battery. When it builds up enough to bridge across a pair of plates, they short out. When enough of them short out, the battery's dead. And what lets lead sulphate build up inside a battery, is low fluid level that exposes the plates. What causes low fluid levels is the battery drying up with heat and age. Which is why "sealed" batteries don't last very long. That battery has removable cell caps, so the fluid level can be checked and adjusted. And they look like they've been removed a time or two, as well. If the cells have been kept full, and it's never been left to sit completely discharged? It's perfectly likely that that battery is fine; and if you take care of it, it will stay that way. When I was a kid, and batteries all had removable cell caps, my father very, very seldom had to buy a new car battery, 'cause he did all his own car maintenance; and that included checking the battery once a month...:laugh:

Stewie26 likes this.
  19. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

2011 Deep Cycle battery. There is also a burned in mark on the side of the battery that will corroborate the date of manufacture. At least that was the way of it when I delt with batteries on a daily basis.

Deep Cycle batteries have a shorter life span than regular batteries typically all things being equal.

Stewie26 likes this.
  20. My intuition always thought it would the opposite. But I'm no expert so that is why I am seeking advice.