1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help in buying a bass for rockabilly playing

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by aturner894, Dec 1, 2010.

1. aturner894

aturner894

Sep 22, 2010
    How do you go about trying out different basses when there are no stores that carry them? I live in Steamboat Springs and I was able to find a guy in Denver and he had some Shen basses for me to try. I have been playing on a beat up bass I bought used 8 years ago and it is not worth repairing. I do not want to buy online something I have never played.

2. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    You need to travel then I guess. I don't think anyone will send you a bass to try before you buy.

3. I'm on the same boat aturner, I've been looking for a bass for rockabilly for a while now, about a year and a half. To be honest though, there are no places in town, or even within a few hours of where I live, that would be guaranteed to stock a good bass for rockabilly/psychobilly - the only place that has one rents it out and I just rent it as needed, but its really a student bass. The only places I've been able to get recommendations on only set up for classical - big thick metal strings, non-adjustable bridges, etc..

I'm really starting to think of just getting some e-bay special and fitting it with some weedwacker strings.

4. metalboy

metalboy

Feb 26, 2011
    newcastle, nsw
    im new to here and will probably be paid out for this
    but i have a 1500 dollar bass with a set of weedwackers and its the only bass i use for my psycho band!
    it gets beat on and has never let me down!

5. metalboy

metalboy

Feb 26, 2011
    newcastle, nsw
    AND WHEN I DOES BREAK
    Ill be buying another one just the same!!

6. bassoneman

bassoneman

May 18, 2007
    mansfield,ma
    Hey the guys at UPton Bass do a Great Job and They have shipping discounts. I had a limited budget so i bought a ShenSB80.They set them up great. Then I put Guts on it, K&K, Pin Up F-hole Covers and I was a rocking and a rollin. I have only been Playing the Upright for a few months.. Hhere is a video of it. Not great sound through the Flip camera. But you might get an idea.

7. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Engles are great for the money...old Kays can be great. Uptons are seriously rad...for my money the new Blast Cult (formerly King doublebass) are the best playing and sounding basses for slap style by a mile

8. I agree, you have to travel if you're out in the boonies. And when you get one, make sure you get it set up for your playing style there, so you won't have to look all over for a luthier to do that! I live in an area where there are some good shops, but the luthier that does my stuff is a good couple of hours away...it's worth it, but I don't want to have to do the drive all that much.

9. punkozuna

punkozuna

Mar 19, 2011
    Irrigon, Oregon
    Any idea what type you're looking for? New? Used? Laminate? Hybrid? Price range?

10. My bass instructor showed me a really awesome site called www.music123.com. Their basses are nice and definitely affordable.They have a 45 day return policy. You could potentially order a bass and if you didn't like it send it back. It doesn't matter if you buy seven basses...you could send all seven back in the 45 days. See if that helps you out a bit.

11. MusiciansFriend.com sells Engl's, and they have a 45 day return policy. I would check it for the DB's though. Not sure how they are bout returns on those.

12. jetblackbass

jetblackbass

May 20, 2011
    UK
    Dont let anyone tell you you have to spend a fortune on a bass for rockabilly playing.

I bought a cheap Antoni bass 2 years ago on ebay for £350 (was only 6months old and origionally sold for about £600.).

Set it up myself, use shadow pickups, kk pre amp, hartke amp and cab and after a little trial and error sounds great. You can check out how it sounds on my band site Mojokings - The Official Mojokings Website!

I always think that if you thrash the hell out of it why spend a fortune when you can buy a cheap one and replace it if needs be. Good amps and gear will make it sound good.

13. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    " I do not want to buy online something I have never played." You have the main concept down pat! If you never buy a bass that you've never played, then you will never be disappointed with your purchase. Buying a bass you've never played is HUGE gamble, IMO. Take the trip to Denver. Im guessing there may be other outlets (in Denver) where you could check out a bass. Best of luck

14. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I agree, those old Kays are sensational. Played a super one yesterday--slender neck, easy on the hand.