Help! Is it a genuine MIJ Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Needurhelp2021, May 26, 2021.

1. Needurhelp2021

Needurhelp2021

May 26, 2021
    Good day. I found this bass and it costs almost 1k dollars which I think is suspiciously low price for it, however it might be caused by some damaged lacquer areas. The serial number says that it was made in Fujigen in 1993-1994, as the seller says it was made in 1993. But I have never seen the "made in Japan" font like that on the neck near to the place which connects to the body (especially without written serial number near this "mij" sign which should be the same as on the headstock). Also, what does the T letter and 10-9 means? It seems that on the neck pocket, there are no markings which is wierd. The serial number is N074764. And also is it normal for body to be made of 3 pieces of wood? Is it a genuine Fender Jazz Bass MIJ?

Attached Files:

2. Needurhelp2021

Needurhelp2021

May 26, 2021
    Also, the seller says that all the parts are original, but the pickguard doesn't look like the almost 30 years old one. Strange...

3. Pic of the whole bass ?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I owned a '93 MIJ Fender Jazz for a while.

If I recall, the "Made in Japan" sticker at the base of the back of the neck didn't have that cursive font.

Do they have "Made in Japan" on the front of the head AND the back of the neck?

I bought it for $500 I think. That was the going rate a few years back. Have they spiked in price?

Also, the neck was ridiculously thin... both side to side and front to back. It was a pencil neck. (That's the only reason I got rid of it.)

5. That SN isn't recognized by the Guitar Dater...

upload_2021-5-26_10-38-28.png

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    IDK if genuine or not, but I think it may be overpriced if it is real.

This may not be true depending upon your geolocation.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  7. Needurhelp2021

Needurhelp2021

May 26, 2021

Attached Files:

8. Needurhelp2021

Needurhelp2021

May 26, 2021
    The seller is the 4th owner and we are in Ukraine so it's a bit rare for my country

dkelley and charlie monroe like this.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Looks like it's generally legit to me. I had a few MIJ instruments of the mid-to-late 90's period (made in Japan rather than Crafted in Japan)...and what I see matches those. Mine also DID have the gold script Made in Japan at the base of the neck on my 50's Telecaster (1996). There was a series that Fender did out of Japan that was not a year-specific direct reissue, but "50's Telecaster" "70's Jazz Bass" etc. That's what you have here.

10. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    If it's a copy it's a pretty good one. I've not seen the truss rod terminate like that at the heel before, and I've also never seen the MIJ info in that font, or in cursive writing.
    Not that those make it fake, they're just unusual.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Sparuto and Bassmike62 like this.
  11. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    If that's real, it's a JB75-90. Fair market (not current) for the 90's are $800-900 or so (because of the incorrect pup spacing) and the 00's are $1000+ depending on the shape.

I have a 2004 and there are a few things about this bass that are suspect.

That year jb75 SHOULD be "Crafted in Japan" not made in and the cursive is NOT correct - I've never seen anything like that on any of these, and I'd been researching them and looking into them for awhile before buying mine. That looks to have been added on at some point. If it's a copy, it's a good one.

Fender Japan - Wikipedia

*Edit - it should be noted that "typical" is not absolute.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  12. Needurhelp2021

Needurhelp2021

May 26, 2021
    I also found this post HELP: Is this a genuine 1993-1994 MIJ Fender Precision Bass?
    There was the same issue but with P-Bass and there also was a serial number printed above the cursive "MIJ". But this one J-Bass has a serial number only on the headstock :( So it's a bit confusing...

13. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Here's another thread to add a wrinkle
    Crafted in Japan Jazz Bass identification

OK I just looked at a ton of 92 and 94 JBs and about half of them have "Made in" on the decal, but always in the standard non-cursive text / no italics (like the "Crafted in")

Bassmike62 likes this.
  14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Looks legit!

15. OK.

Disclaimer: not a collector or afficionado. Just a guy who loves Jazz basses. I own a 2010 American Special and 2016 Aerodyne and I've owned other Squier Jazzes as well.

SN not registering raises a flag.
    SN placement is new to me, but the only reference I have with MIJs is my Aerodyne, with its SN on the neck, at the joint.
    Other flag: that pickguard, but could be aftermarket.
    General shape looks OK, but lower bout seems a bit thick ?

Could be a parts bass. Looks a bit like a 70s bass, without the proper knobs. I think pots #s could also be checked, I'm not sure how to go about that, though.

On the whole, even if not a real Fender, could be a good bass and it looks pretty good, just might not be worth what's asked. Current owner might not be aware of issues either.
    I'd definitely ask more questions if owning a Fender is important.

Others might also chime in.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The Made/Crafted thing took a bit to happen. For a handful of years it was just 'Made in" then sometime later 90's "Crafted in Japan" happened for some models.

As far as I can remember of that era, Japan production was split by those intended for export and those intended for the Japanese market only, and the "Crafted in Japan" ones were intended for export. It's been since the mid 90's that I paid much attention to all this, but it was at a time where there was American Made tier instruments, MIJ (middle tier) and MIM (entry level). They didn't do all the China/Indonesia/Korea stuff at that point.

17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have seen this font before on legit MIJ Fenders. Serial Number puts it at 93-94. I'd grab it for $500 real quick. For a grand, I'm looking elsewhere.

wraub likes this.
  18. Needurhelp2021

Needurhelp2021

May 26, 2021
    It becomes recognised if you choose an option "Japanese Made".

Attached Files:

19. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    I don't think the JB75-90s were made for export at all? They were trying to fill the MIA market in Japan with higher quality J basses at a more affordable (than importing) price. They kinda went off the radar over here for a long time, so the prices stayed pretty low (when you could get your hands on them at all). NOTE: the JB75s were a 70's reissue. Above someone mentioned a parts bass, but to my eyes it almost all looks like my JB.

For the last couple of years the 90's basses have been sitting around $800-900 in good shape (in the US). Prior to covid I saw them SOMETIMES for less from overseas sellers, and in Japan for $400-600 (plus import and shipping).

These basses are all pretty heavy, usually from 9+lbs to 12lbs. My 2004 is 11.8 lbs.

The neck profile should feel pretty fast / thin towards the nut, and then get meatier at about the 12th fret - though I've heard some variation on this, and depending on the year, they sometimes put the thinner profile necks on there (think the MIJ Aerodynes and Geddy Lees).

Even if it IS real, I think $1000 might be a little high for a '93. But the market is weird right now. I got my '04 for $1099 from a company that does a lot imports for "not for export" MIJ/CIJ basses and has a good rep. Since then, I've seen the prices on these jump 20-40%

I'd hold off.

20. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Actually Made in Japan versus Crafted in Japan denoted a difference in manufacturers. When Fujigen Gakki started making product for Fender in 1982 part of the agreement was that Fujigen product would be labelled as Made in Japan. Fender product made by other companies would be labelled Crafted in Japan. In the mid 90s Fujigen stopped making Fenders, and production moved to Dyna Gakki and Tokai Gakki, and the instruments were now labelled Crafted in Japan. The earliest Crafted in Japan labelled instruments apparently appeared in 1992, when Dyna Gakki produced some instruments to supplement Fujigen Gakki's production.

Dabndug, digmeout, Aggers and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022