1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help maximizing recording tone

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rjny36, Mar 28, 2006.

1. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been recording some tracks with my band, and the results so far have been pretty good, but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything that'll help maximize the tone. We play classic rock/r&b/blues kind of stuff, I play fingerstyle, and here's what I've been using:

Fender USA P-Bass (completely stock) w/ flatwounds plugged directly into the Korg D1200mkII (not with a DI box... literally plugged straight into the Korg).

Fender USA Vintage '62 Jazz Reissue (again, completely stock) w/ roundwounds, again plugged straight in.

I don't have a very good amplifier (It's a Crate BX2115), but it has a direct out that I can plug into the band's PA, and we have a large variety of mics.

Should I be mic'ing the amp or the PA (or both), as well? Also, the only "effect" used on my tracks--the guy who owns the Korg does all the mixing and such--was a "noise gate" that sounds to me like it chops off the initial strike of the string, and the resulting "decay."

All in all, it sounds pretty good, but I get the feeling from listening to it that it's missing something... any suggestions?

2. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    I prefer a signal from an amp close mic'd AND a direct signal from a good direct box. (I'm pretty happy with my Radial J48).

I can then blend the 2 for best effect in the mix.

3. rey1631

rey1631

Mar 27, 2006
    Rio Grande, PR
    Are you compressing it?, If you do maybe is too compress. Also you can try a preamp, sound comes more clearly.

4. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Zero compression. Maybe that's what it's missing?