Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    So, my budget for FX has increased some to the range of either a Boss GT-6B or a Pod Live. I don't care about any modeling, though it might be nice for recording. I want a comparison between the effects on the two. Feel free to suggest other FX as well, but at the moment it looks like I'm going multi-FX, and I don't mind going used (or saving money) if it will sound better than the options listed above.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, the boss is more inclined towards the fx side (although it has modelling) and the bass pods are more generally inclined towards the modelling side.

the boss me-50b is also a very good multi fx. You don't say what effects in particular you're interested in, but the me-50b imo has better od's / distortions than the gt-6b

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm mainly looking for a good reverb, phaser, flanger, echo and delay, and chorus. Using a tube amp, I can already get some good OD, but I would like at least one really good heavy distortion. Which would you think is better for the FX, the ME-50B or the GT-6B, or even an out of production unit or anything else you can think of within about $400?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    So, there's some pros and cons between the two:
    GT-6B
    Has modelling (which you say you don't care about)
    Has many possible parameters per effect
    ME-50B
    Doesn't have modelling
    Has less possible parameters per effect, but IMO it's easier to find a good sound quicker with it.

I've also heard good things about the Digitech BNX-3, although I haven't tried it.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I like to fiddle around with stuff, so I think I'm going to go with the GT-6B. I found one used. Is $300 a good price for it? I heard Boss gear retains its value well.

6. I think that's a rather fair price for it...a bit steep buit w/e. Boss stuff does retain it's price very well.

Have you ever given a thought about the digitech stuff? My bassist has this one, and it seems to me that it's a good value, and it has a really nice sound to it for a lot of different effects:
    http://www.digitech.com/products/bp200.htm

Cheers,

Nish

7. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i think the bass pod xt live falls into the under $400 price range as well in case your first choice falls through

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I actually tried the Digitech one, but I didn't like the sound of it. It was decent, but nothing special and I found it to be a tad noisy (but my ears are VERY sensitive to any unwanted noise). Now I couldn't try a ME-50B or a GT-6B or a POD Live because the local GC is ****ty and won't let me take one outta the box. And other music stores only have single pedals.