1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me end my GAS and quit my second job!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by neddyrow, Nov 28, 2017.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    quick back story.....

i am a teacher by day and a bartender on friday nights. i am also a husband and a dad of two wonderful boys (2 & 4 y/o). needless to say, with playing music, i am very busy. I am almost 41 and i'm getting too old to work in a college bar.

i have been working this job to pay extra bills but mostly to buy gear. i'd like to quit so i can play more gigs and spend more time with the kids instead of working late on fridays and being tired all day saturday.

the solution is to end my GAS! and i think i am pretty close

What else do i need/want?

I have:
    Upton plywood bass
    Meisel 1950s german plywood (backup bass)
    Guild B30 - ABG
    Martin D-15 acoustic guitar
    Martin 000-15 sm acoustic guitar
    custom hpf/lpf/DI
    AI Focus 1 series iii
    AI Ten2 head
    AI flex preamp
    Crazy 88 cabinet
    2 - Ampeg 210AV cabinets

Full PA system - for small to medium gigs
    2 mains
    2 monitors
    mics, stands, cables, DIs, etc.

Small PA System
    Carvin AG300 + Extension Cab
    Mackie SRM 150 mini-monitor

so as you can see, I've got all a semi-professional musician needs. I've even got a back up for everything from extra amp, cabinet, strings.....what else do i need?

i plan on buying a BG (gasp!) just to have one as my bands' direction may change a little where i may need to double. But, that's it.

Please let me know what else i'll need before i feel i can quit without needing more gear!

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    a B15, or SB12...Well those are on my list anyway.

neddyrow likes this.
  3. Quit the Job & Enjoy your time with the kids.

Join a band - If you need any more gear, sell something you're not using.

I gigged, recorded & toured extensively for 15 years with 2 Electric basses & 1 amp. Total investment $1400. It's not about the gear!!!!!!

One DB and 1 amp is plenty 90% of the time.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Yep i just need a bass, bow, and an amp to be happy. Wouldn't mind setting up a home studio though!

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  5. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    We’ve recorded 4 albums in my basement. I’ve also got protools and an AT 4033 and Shure SM81. Worked great. I’ve even got an Ear Trumpet Labs mic for making our outdoor shows look cool!

I’m thinking one P and one J style BGs and I’m set. Then I can quit without want of gear that I won’t be able to reward or buy with gig money over time.

6. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    I take it as given that you're not going to sell a kidney (or a kid) to buy more gear.
    The only gap in your inventory is a solid-body bass guitar. I'd recommend a decent second hand active J(esque) bass (maybe a 5-string), which would be versatile enough to cover the vast bulk of genres you may encounter. You should be able to find one that will fit in with your budget.

neddyrow likes this.
  7. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

The obvious thing you're missing, IMHO, is a piano or keyboard. Something to work out chords and tunes on; I think it's a great resource for exploring harmony.

neddyrow likes this.
  8. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

All You need.....

neddyrow, Groove Doctor and kesslari like this.
  9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You have all the gear you need, and then some.
    I'm finding that buying gear is something I want to do more of when I'm playing/gigging less. It helps when I remember "I've got what I need to do my gigs and sound the way I want". That way when I see a new cool thang I can notch down my "want that!" urges.

neddyrow and rickwolff like this.
  10. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

Maybe it's:

"Those who can, do...
    Those who can't, buy".

Oh, Oh. What does that say about me.

neddyrow, Groove Doctor and Tom Lane like this.
  11. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    My well set-up Shen SB80 and old school GK MB150S keep me on the road. I bought them both used about two years ago and have been making the majority of my living with them since. It works well for pizz. For arco it’s just passable with my cheap Gollihur bow, but no one calls me specifically for that.

The only thing I think you NEED would be a solid body electric because you double. You may want an amp more optimized for BG at some point, too. If you end up getting into carved basses and nice bows, things will get considerably more spendy!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    neddyrow likes this.