Help Me Find Such Flat Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JazzyJacuzzi, Sep 19, 2021.

1. JazzyJacuzzi

JazzyJacuzzi

Sep 17, 2021
    Hello,

I'm looking to string a 60s reissue Precision with thumpy flat wounds that have a tad more mids than the LaBella Deep Talkin' 760FL. I'd prefer a set with a tension around the same as regular 105 round wound set (DR Sunbeams, for e.g.), ideally a notch lighter.

I've tried Chromes, Slinkys and Fenders, which I found too modern. The TIs were too middy and not thumpy enough.

I remember liking the Pyramids 640/1 on a Jazz bass, but they were stiff and could've been better balanced. One the strings was also much rougher than the rest. I don't remember how they were in the mids department, though.

I haven't tried the Dunlop Flat Wounds, DR Legends and GHS Precisions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. Try the Dunlop Flats 40-100 for what you're looking for. That's what I'll be trying on my P bass next.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    GHS Precision Flats. I have similar experiences with LaBella, Pyramids, and TIs. The GHS have a definite precise note (what I find lacking from the LaBella) but still have all the thump one expects from a traditional flat (which isn't there in the TI's as much as I do li,like, their sound- it's just not an o.d-style flat sound). I have my Precision flats in the 45-105 gauge set and the feel is a bit more stiff than DR Hi-Beams on the same bass, so the next gauge down might be perfect for you.

4. temmrich

temmrich

Jan 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Also, remember to really break a set of flats in if you're looking for thump. A lot of flats are a little clanky out of the box and it takes a few months of dedicated playing to break them in.
    I can't stand chromes out of the pack, but they get thumpier as time goes on.
    I'm currently digging SIT power flats. They were a bit of an experiment, but I've come to really like them. I have chromes on one p, Dunlop's on another, and SITs on a third. I find myself gravitating to the one with the SITs.

GrapeBass and kreider204 like this.
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Optima Flats.
    I've played the LaBellas, TIs and Chromes you mention.
    The Chromes are on my P and that's where they stay, I like the zing (for a flat).
    The TI's I have on my 5 String and those boiled spaghettis sing, all mid content and no thump.
    On my 6, I've had LaBella DTF strings, but they were thumpin a bit too bassy and I wanted something a little more versatile - which is what the regular Optima flats are doing.

e-flat, Gothic and ColdEye like this.
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I'd have to agree with JTE. I have the GHS M3050 Precision Flats on my '78 P-Bass, and even with the foam mute in the bridge cover, they are (IMO) a little more... articulate?... than The La Bella 760 FLs - which I tried on the PB, and which I still have on a couple of my other basses. In my case, I wanted the original "P-Bass with factory flats" sound. Since their Precision Flats are their (more or less) recreation of those original strings, my choice was pretty obvious. I have to say that I am not disappointed, either. Their actual tension (174.6 lbs.) is not terribly high for the gauge - flats or rounds - and I don't find them any stiffer than most of the flats I play. And I have a lot of basses, with many different flats. As for their balance? Feel-wise, I couldn't say off hand; I've never paid much attention to that. Tone-wise? Yeah, the ones on my bass are, and that's more important - to me...:cool:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    friend33 likes this.
  7. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    GHS Precision Flats definitely have mids you seek, and can also get thumpy (they don't sound that thumpy on my bass-compromised P, but they were way thumpy on my Jazz and my Mustang). If you want Sunbeam-style tension, you're gonna have to go light (45-95). They felt too light for me on a short-scale bass, but the tone does not suffer. I enjoy the 45-105 on my P.

Dunlop Flats 40-100 are somewhat lighter in the mids compared to the GHS, but still have plenty, and have a really nice feel.

Both of these seem tighter in the low end than LaBella, but still have plenty of thump when you need it. My experience with LaBella is limited, though.

You can't go wrong with either of those two.

friend33 likes this.
  8. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    They also tend to feel closer to rounds tension-wise if you drop a gauge.

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    The EB flats are the answer...but you said you don't like them.

Did you let them settle?

Did you turn the knobs on your bass and amp?

If you have tried those five sets of flats and couldn't get "middy," I am thinking the problem is not going to be solved by buying something new, but by the spending of effort twisting knobs on your amp and bass.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  10. The OP mentioned "Slinky", which refers to the EB Cobalt Flats. Are you talking about the EB stainless steel flats?

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am talking about the ones the OP tried, of course! Slinkys – the ones that say "COBALT" on the package.

The Group flats are mid scooped and modern sounding – not what the OP is asking for. The Slinkys are a nice hybrid of modern and classic...and aren't stiff. Just what he is asking for.

12. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I think GHS Flats would be a good choice for you.

13. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Unsweetened, highly-caffeinated Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    Eucerin kills flats dead. Thumpiness-rich and good for your skin.
    Eucerin Skin Cream Kills Strings DEAD!!!

JimmyM likes this.
  14. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Yeah! Try La Bella White Tapewounds.

mrperkolator and BOOG like this.
  15. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Commercial User

The 760FL’s are my go-to flatwound, but hearing what you just said, I’d say that I agree with what others have stated here; try the GHS Precision flats. They’re a pretty good middle-of-the-road set flatwounds.

16. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    GHS Precision Flats are closer to LaBellas than some of the strings the OP has already tried!

17. Ghs precision flats

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    As one other has said already, the thing with flats is that they sound sound how they sound for up to several months out. So good luck trying a set for a few days and saying "That's not for me." There's no such thing (in my experience) as flats that sound like they will sound right out of the pack.

In short, you have to commit to a trial period of 6 to 8 weeks of regular playing (or more).

19. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    “Help Me Find Such Flat Wounds”

For some reason in my mind I read this in Borat’s voice.

I’ll see myself out now…

GravyGoodness, matante and kreider204 like this.
  20. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Another one who would suggest GHS Precision Flats. I like the 105s for tension on Fenders. Ten years from now when you finally decide it’s time to replace them, you’ll think the new set is a little too bright. I buy two sets at a time so I won’t convince myself that they have changed the build. I may not live long enough to use the two sets of spares I have

Billy-Brad and EatS1stBassist like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021