1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me find the cheapest 5-string with 18mm spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eminor3rd, May 8, 2019.

1. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    My main player (and only fretted 5-string) has been out for a while awaiting a very specific and drastic repair. Circumstances have caused that repair to be delayed without a definite due date.

I love my fretless, but I am itching to play fretted bass again.

I have no desire to invest in another high-end instrument unless my current primary proves irreparable. So, I'm considering buying a cheap one to use in the meantime, to be resold at a later date.

Here's the catch: I REALLY want it to have 18mm spacing. This is because I have found spacing at the bridge to be one of the most significant "feel" factors that affect my playing, and I want my fretted and fretless to match, so that I have no trouble switching between them.

It seems most Fenders are 19-20mm and Ibanezes tend to be something like 16.5mm. Beyond that, it seems few entry-level instruments tend to have such info listed. So I seek your help!

What is the cheapest available 5-string with 18mm spacing?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: 17.5mm is acceptable as well. Close enough.

EDIT 2: Must be 34" scale!

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Fender 5’s are actually 18mm (18.4 to be exact). Squier 5’s as well.
    I find the Fender 5 with 18mm and their 1-7/8” nut width a perfect balance.
    With that in mind, I can only suggest their Squier 5’s on a budget.

I’m not sure what the spacing numbers on Sire 6-string basses are, but they have the V3 for around a Squier-price point.

Some 17.5mm basses like Ernie Ball/Sterling have a 1-3/4” nut width with 17.5mm spacing, and it’s a bit tight, but tolerable. I just can’t hang with 16.5mm...can’t do it.

Ibanez has their “Cerro” SRSC single-cut, which has a straight-up 18mm spacing, and I like that model a lot...it’s just not exactly a budget-minded instrument.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Check out Cort GB basses on Reverb. The older models are 34” scale and they have quality hardware and construction. Usually they are light weight and can be had for a very low price.

emjazz and Eminor3rd like this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Cheapest and best quality , I’d say find a used Ernie Ball MusicMan USA made SUB 5 .

Sire V3 5 also comes to mind .

plav1959 and Eminor3rd like this.
  5. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    Most Yamaha BB 5 strings, at least ones made within the last ~20 years have 18mm spacing.

TrustRod, Mili, garp and 2 others like this.
  6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    At $250, hard to beat Ibanez Talman TMB105 in this budget, 34" scale, and 18mm string spacing at bridge categories. More that with this amount of money, you'll get an active 2 band EQ on board.

Next probably the Yamaha BB235 at $350, passive. The active ones start with TRBX305 at $400.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Have been wondering about those myself.

8. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    These -- this might be what I'm talking about. Although looking at all of the suggestions in this thread, I've also realized I really want 24 frets. Love the Talman pricetag, but that TRBX305 has the frets...

9. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
  10. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Fender and Squier both have 18mm spacing on their 5ers. The Squier VM series is good quality for low dough. The Yamaha TRBX has 18mm spacing and also is a good quality bass for a decent price. I have the TRBX505 and am trading it with a friend because i'm a 19mm guy (to your point that string spacing is super-important). I'm sure you can find either used. There are a few of each on Reverb.com right now.

Mili and Eminor3rd like this.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Go to your local Music-go-round and see what they have in stock … maybe you will find something you like.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  12. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Warwick and Warwick Rockbass 5 and 6's can be adjusted out to 17.5mm.

13. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If you can't, maybe look for a used Yamaha BB415 or a BB425X instead. Great bang-for-the-buck instruments.

14. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Yamaha RBX or TRBX series.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  15. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    The discontinued Squier VM P5 basses are great. Mine’s listed here, but cross country shipping might make it less enticing for you.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  16. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I've got an Ibanez 5 that I defretted that I'd ship cheap if you're interested. I can check string spacing tonight.

[​IMG]

EDIT- sorry thought you were looking for a fretless five.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  17. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    That Ibanez most likely has 16.5mm spacing, but in any case, @Eminor3rd is looking for a fretted bass.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    What model is that? Looks really cool.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  19. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    GSR205SM.

Great bass, really affordable. I'm just not a fiver guy. This thread does have me curious about spacing though.

Again, sorry about the mistake on fretted, OP.

Eminor3rd and emjazz like this.