Help Me Pick a Paint Color for Bedroom Studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ThirstyMonkey, Jul 24, 2020.

1. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    Like the title says, I'm ready to change the color of the walls of my home studio room. With COVID I'm now working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. I have to do zoom meetings and at some point I'll have to use a camera (I've been avoiding it so far). The current color for the walls is red. I loved it at the time I painted the room, and it helped the room encourage "creativity." But now it looks a little dated and because I've added LED light bulbs to the room I' have the ability to use lighting for the room.

This is what's behind me if I use the computer camera:

thumbnail_IMG-2761.jpg

I know light grey is "in" right now and would be an easy choice, but most of my house is already light grey. I want something that will still let the guitars stand out, but won't be too distracting when I'm in a video meeting.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Bassaga likes this.
  2. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
  3. I might add a green screen, but I wouldn’t paint the whole room that way. Decide which color you like the most.
    Then, pick a very, very light shade of that favorite color for the walls.

4. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Guild B301 likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:D

i'll be honest: i wouldn't change a thing! your room looks great. i'm guessing you're just bored with it, but you'll need those walls when you get a fretless! :laugh:

in case i'm wrong = good luck with your color choices! :thumbsup:

StevieMac and Bassaga like this.
  6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I'm a fan of C2 paints. Such rich colors and a lot to choose from. The interior colors in our house were all chosen by browsing through their selection...

Shop C2 Color Palette

Clearly though, the obvious answer for you is paint the walls in a nice flat tortouse shell...

Bassaga likes this.
  7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I just went through a lot of samples on the wall, and after what seems like too many trips to the paint store I wound up deciding on Mindful Gray from Sherwin Williams.

Mindful Gray SW 7016 - Neutral Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams

It’s slightly darker than the light grays that are most popular, but it’s not too dark. The online image looks a little bit like it has a brownish undertone, but in person it looks like straight up gray.

I’m pretty happy with the results (he says as one wall is just drying and the rest are yet to be painted)

Guild B301 likes this.
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Seafoam Green

Hey, you asked! :D

9. Candy apple red and tort.

10. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    ABFE38D2-7376-4CE0-81B9-7517FF84A5AF.jpeg

11. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    TBH I kinda like the colour in the first pic.

If it were mine and I wanted to change it I pick a dark turquoise or dark purple

12. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    TV yellow

Attached Files:

13. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    The room looks kinda dark with the current color, I'd go with something a lot lighter. Personally I went with a light blue-grey color called "nordic breeze", almost like a light daphne blue. Looks really good with a satin paint. Example pic I found:
    IMG_3197-2.jpg

14. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Landlord White, semi-gloss

15. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    I would go with a mid or darker grey as you've already listed the reasons there, plus it will have the desired effect of drawing attention to your guitars.

Or if red is your fave colour go for a muted(low colour saturation) red. The current one is quite intense.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021