Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me with my 1980 vintage VANTAGE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Hi Everyone,

heres a challenge for you all. here are some pics of a VANTAGE bass i recently bought of ebay.
    the little info i have of the bass is as follows: brand - Vantage; year - 1980?; features - 18volt active EQ, DiMarzio Pickups, 5 piece maple&mahagony neck, ash body, neck-thru, 24 frets; controls - active/passive switch, phase switch bridge puckups?, phase switch neck pickups?,(active)bass/treble boost knob, tone knob, master volume knob, three way pickup selector. "?" denotes uncertainty

i dont know if it will help but the serial no. is 108001. does that mean that this is the first one built?
    . on a personal note i'd just like to add that this bass is awesome to play and sounds amazing. i had to spend 10 hours stripping it down, cleaning and polishing it, then reassembling it after i bought it as i dont think it had ever been cleaned or cared for in it previous 25years of exsitance.
    but it was worth every minute. it even sounds better than both my Yamaha TRB and Spector Legend and i only paid AU$500 for it.
    anyway any help would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bassist:

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Congrats on the new bass! I have a VS600B (bolt-on, single P, passive) and it's my favorite bass to play.

I haven't seen one like yours before. It does say 'Made in Japan' somewhere on it, right? The Japanese basses produced in the Matsumoku factory usually had six- or seven-digit serial numbers, with the first digit or two denoting the year. I'd say yours is an '81 (same as mine :D ).

For more info, check out http://www.therathole.org. Also, it would be awesome if you'd submit some info/pics to the site.

3. thanks Hurley,
    i checked out therathole but they didnt have any pics of mine. i have emailed whoever runs the site and sent him a link to this thread so he can check out the pics and (limited) info i have on it.

4. BUMP!!! :crying:

PLEASE :help: me guys i still have no idea what it is :help:
    thanks

5. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I had the passive single P version. Ash body( clear), maple neck. I love the shape of theses basses. I remember it was fun to play. Wish I had kept it.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    How many piece neck? Do you remember what model number? I might have the same one, but I'm not sure what wood my body is.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    That's a sweet bass! It's a combination of:

1. Alembic body shape
    2. Aria neck/headstock
    3. SD Curlee pickup configuration

Vantage is one of those brands that received very little respect originally (simply because they were made in Japan and were considered "knock-offs"), but that have held up quite well over time and are now being appreciated. Tokai was another such brand.

Beautiful bass, man - I would LOVE to have one of those!

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  9. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    My first real bass was one of those and I made it into a fretless after I got a ric 4003 . They were great basses and they were modeled after the Alembics .

I always look for them on Ebay . I would love to get another since it was my first bass .

Pete

10. Thanks guys for you responses esp. DUDE for the photo links to his bass - it really is very similar - the back is almost identical. i have just replaced the bridge, knobs and pickup covers on the bass so it know looks as good as it sounds:

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Get yourself a comfy strap and enjoy! My Oakland is 11lbs!! :eek:

12. Hah!!! my Vantage weighs in at only 5lbs!!! unfortunately 3 1/2 of those seem to be in the neck!!! :eyebrow:

any suggestions for compensating for a neck heavy bass? :help:

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    No way bro you got a Vantage that weigh's 5lbs...you talking some weirdo UK "pounds" or something?? I bet that sucker is a min of 10 US pounds.

Look for a vintage "Fret Sling" strap...it's "S" shaped and cures all neck divers...I have one for my Oakland...works great!!

[​IMG]

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Here, look...the "s" shape to the strap pulls 1st position in about 1.5" - 2".

[​IMG]

15. ***? last time i checked there was only one type of lb weight!!! and its funny but America seems to be the only country that is still stuck using imperial measurements - the rest of the world is now using this fantastic thing called the metric system - a system that wasnt designed in the dark ages!lol
    as for the issue of the actual weight of my bass it is pretty light. it weighs the same as my spector legend5 but a lot less than my yamaha trb4II.
    also i cant see those pics of that strap you posted
    thanks for your help :hyper:

16. Heya,
    My name's Josh; first time poster. Nice Bass!
    I too own a Vantage I scored off ebay for $200US including shipping! Yours is quite a bit nicer, though. It's the same body style. Mine has a single, passive, split-pickup. While mine is a VS series from what I could find on www.therathole.org, the bridge is that of the X-series and looks almost identical to the Gibson EB style bass bridges and does not allow for individual string height adjustment. It is also arched, not flat. Anyway, the bridge is cracked and I'm looking for a suitable replacement. I would like to get something nicer but there's a 1/4" recess under the bridge to deal with. I was looking at a Musicman style bridge which looks to be large enough to cover the recess whether or not I decide to fill it in. I would need something 105mm x 60mm. I do not want to screw up the looks of my bass. Should I simply go with a direct replacement? Will the EB style bridge match up? I've been unable to find measurements for one. Here tis:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21299&stc=1

Later!

Attached Files:

17. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Rats! I was going to bid high on this bass but the auction ended before I realized.

It's definitely a 1981 based on the SN and was made in the Matsumoku plant. This looks like a limited edition model VSB series bass. Most of the higher end VSB series basses had set necks. Yours is neck through. Also, even the highest end VSB's were passive. Your's seems to borrow technology from the Aria SB-1000 line (made at the same factory) based on teh LED light, the neck through body design and the switches.

Amazing basses, these vantages are. I have our sam ebass ut with passive electronics and a set neck (the VSB795), the VSB695 (one P pickup) and an unknown VSB model which is almost identcal to my VSB795 except it has a 3-point bridge. These play and sound amazing. The only complaint I have is that they tend to lay flat (neck dive) due to the symetrical body shape so they are easier to play sitting down.

If you ever want to unload this, let me know!

18. hi roger, thanks for your input. it is a great bass but yes it is a neck diver! i am also getting frustrated by the active electronics. there is an active bass OR treble boost - but i usually like both and a mid boost would be great.
    im thinking about dropping an Aguilar OPB-3 in there to solve this dilema.
    what would you offer me for it though?

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Beautiful! Gotta love those Japanese 80s basses.

20. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Excellent humour !!! :cool:

You're right Dude - 5 proper, good ol US of A LBs is actually only 2 LBS in weirdo UK weight :D