1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Mesa Boogie Powerhouse Speaker Issues- Fix or Sell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mastertemps, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Good morning!

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to bass and amp repair/maintenance and I need some advice...

I have a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 410 cab that has a little rattle. Long story short, I took it to a technician here and town and it turns out that three of the speakers are what's causing the rattling. Checked Mesa's website and each replacement speaker is about $120 plus shipping. I almost think I'm better off purchasing a new cab rather than fixing my Mesa. Does anyone know of any alternative speakers that could go in this cab, preferably cheaper than $100? If not, then plan B would be to try to sell it for way cheap, since the speakers aren't great. Then use that money plus some of my savings to buy a good used cab.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

2. msperanza28

msperanza28

Nov 22, 2011
    Essex, CT.
    Check to see that the dust covers are not coming unglued. Might be an easy fix!!

mastertemps likes this.
  3. Never thought about that. I'll check those once I get my rig back. Thanks!

4. If the dust caps are not the problem and the voice coils are actually damaged or the cones creased contact THESE GUYS. IIRC the recone (every bit as good as a new speaker) is $79 each.

mastertemps likes this.
  5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to reconing (if needed). Make sure it's not just some loose hardware rattlin, or a hanging wire or other debris vibrating against the back of the cones, or even something else in the room vibrating sympathetically with the sound.

mastertemps likes this.