Help Munjibunga prove his point about short scales!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassieBall, Feb 5, 2010.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Answer in post #117

Hey guys, this is all in good fun. This is because of the Is the Mustang RI the right bass for me? thread. Munji, you're pretty down on short scale basses. Your comments are witty and f'ing hillarious! I love Ricardo Montalban. However...

OK, guys, please find the short scale basses. Please find the long scale basses. Please find the Mustang. Perhaps comment if one is really all that much "better" than the other.

Bass A
    Bass B
    Bass C
    Bass D
    Bass E

Edit: I was silly and realized Bass C actually had D'Addarios on it. I restrung it was DR. Sunbeams like the other basses (not a totally fresh set, but about as old as the others) and rerecorded it:

Bass C2

Bass -> Presonus -> Garageband -> iTunes -> MP3 -> iDisk -> You

Now please, everyone, don't go all scientific on me about input levels, whether I use a gold plated power cord, etc. I can say they all have DR Sunbeams that are pretty new. And no, I'm not a professional bass player :D

2. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Hard to say, but I think bass C is red.

MovinTarget likes this.
  3. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd say B and D are full scale, the other 3 are short scale, with C being the Mustang.

Complete shot in the dark.

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Is that Lakland's track? :eyebrow:

5. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    You mean is it Lakland's riff? Yes. But they are my basses :) Care to play?

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Yes...

Ok I played before and I know I was solid on my answer then so I am going to find my post and the quote it on this thread.

7. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Oh, these are brand new clips, Tommy. Just did them. Different from the last because I used different pickup settings to come closer to the Mustang. So the answers won't match up.

8. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Crap! Man... I'm too lazy to listen to the new ones. You guys will have to suffer till tomorrow. Sorry, I know you guys were on the edge of your chairs seeing what I would say just to copy and paste it. That will have to wait guys, fingers off the right clicker. (And for those on Macs, off the ctrl+c)

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Just for fun...

I'll guess C was the Mustang.

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Munji who?

nonohmic likes this.
  11. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Munjibunga: great funny guy with 20,000+ posts!

nonohmic likes this.
  12. C = Mustang
    B= sounds almost like a Jazz Bass type

13. Mentioned this in the other post briefly, and while I cant tell the difference, I keep thinking its Bass E. Just sounds a bit brighter, could just be an active bass though, Im the worst with those.

14. I vote C

nonohmic likes this.
  15. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    It's not just about the Mustang here. There is more than one short scale in those clips!!!

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Subscribed.

17. I guess C and E....something about them...not quite as full sounding, but I have been wrong in the past.

18. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Not sure what is what, but in order of which ones I would pick for a recording session, as a player or as a producer, specially as a producer:
    1-B
    2-D
    3-E

A and C wouldn't qualify for me.

19. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "A" has me stumped.
    "B" sounds like a long-scale Jazz type.
    "C" sounds like a short-scale P bass to me. Whether that's a Mustang, I couldn't say.
    "D" sounds long-scale, non-Fender-type.
    "E" had a bit of flab that made me think short-scale.

nonohmic likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    if i had to pick one, it's e. but i couldn't swear on it. all of them sounded fine, though. it's all about da playa.

nonohmic likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021