Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! need advice metal/hardcore rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cola_klinks, May 29, 2005.

1. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    I've read tons of reviews for the last few days and everyone has their own preference based on what they do. I need some help finding a decent rig. I hadn't play for about ten years and recently came back. I'm playing an early 80's BC Rich Eagle in a metal/hardcore band. I like my sound punchy and thick. Any advice on what I should get? I'm open to combos. Money is an object and I don't really want to go under 300w --prefer 450w. I wasn't too thrilled when I tried a Behringer rig, but am open if anyone has a setup that worked for them. I used to have a GK400 with a 410 cab - 1990-1995, but never really found a sound I was thrilled with. I admit that I don't know much about the workings of all this stuff -- trying to learn -- I just need some good honest, experienced advice in today's market. Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Important question time: how much money do you want to spend?

3. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Here's what brother...have a lissen to this: www.purevolume.com/sonofmourning
    Especially track three

I recorded all three tracks with the following:

Spector NS-JH5
    Gallien Kreuger 1001Rb II
    Gallien Kreuger 410 Rbh cabinets
    Tech 21 sansamp Bass driver DI

There's my advice...hope it helps!

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If you want thick..try to get a tube amp. I know they are more expensive, but Ebay is a poor mans best friend! Are you opposed to an 8x10" ampeg or GK cabinet? They are big and heavy, but, boy howdy! are they loud and meaty! :bassist: Just some things for you to think about. Have fun shopping and get the loudest rig you can, so you won't have to scrap it later when you find out you don't have enough volume to keep up with metal guitars and double kick drums! Good Luck!

5. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    TASH - I'm thinking around the $2500 mark new or $2000 used. I'm going up to the music store today to see what's up.

PABLOMIGRAINE - Sounds great. Real power there. I haven't tried the 1001rb II but am definately going to rent it for a weekend to try it out.

MASHER88 - I have been thinking about a tube amp...it's just I hate those damn delicate tubes. Actually they are usually pretty good, I just hate replacing them. An 8x10 is what my gut was telling me...good to hear.

Thanks guys that really helps.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    For $2500 you have lots of options. Ampegs are definately on the table in that range, probably the most popular metal bass amp ever. I hear many great things about the Mesa 400+ and the Mesa MPulse series. The 400+ is all tube, the MPulse is hybrid. Lots of people like both for metal of many kinds.

I like GKs a lot, the 1001RB-II is probably going to be my next amp, but I'm a fiend for clean SS tones and GKs really excel at those.

You could also look into a high end preamp and drive it with your poweramp of choice.

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Thats what I would do with that kind of money and that kind of band.

Get your favourite sounding preamp, some big ass cabs (youre going to want to push a lot of air) and the most powerful poweramp you can afford to power them.

Im in a hard rock band, and though it isnt metal, I feel your pain. :)

8. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    What do you guys think of this combo GK 700RB II with Ampeg Pr410 HLF ...or should I really go with the GK 1001 RB II. The reason I ask is that the music store has the 700 in stock and the 1001 will take a month...****in' Canada...The French ruined everything...just kidding.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I would hold out for the 1001RB-II, or order it from somewhere else. I belive riksmusic.com normally keeps them in stock and they run $600 shipped.

The 1001RB has enough extra power to be worth it, especially if you are using a cab like the 410HLF, Ampeg cabs seem to like a lot of juice.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Personally, I would rig up a pre-power setup and build like.... a 2000Watt Monstrosity if I had tons of money..

Sansamp RBI (I'm all for the distortion channel)
    QSC PLX 3402
    Two Schroeder 410's

You dont have to say it. I'm officially crazy.
    But c'mon? Wouldnt that be friggon sweet? :D

But seriously. The 1001RB-II would PROBABLY be pretty good. but... I wouldnt go for anything less than that. Heavy, distorted guitars and/or screaming vocals and/or loud double bass are hard to overcome. The fully secure way is to really get a big truckload of power and have some variety in your speakers. Get 10's.... they sound great.... but I would have 12's or a 15 worked in somewhere. You really never know. If you get stuck at an outdoor show or a venue with no PA support, your all on your own as far as supplying the low end. At least give a pre-power rig some thought.

11. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    so how soon you need your 1001rb II??
    Send me a pm

selling my whole rig shortly

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I wouldnt get an Ashdown head. I really like mine, but thought my old Ampeg SVT was a better metal head. Good luck

MK

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For a head:
    Mesa 400+
    Ampeg SVT (any, origional used is the best if you can find one in good condition)
    Fender Bassman Pro 300/Sunn 300T (used for the Sunn; but they are the same)
    Used Trace V6/V8
    For a cab:
    Bergantino 610 (its more efficent than the Ampeg 810 so it gets louder, it handles lows better, but it sounds like the Ampeg)
    Bergantino 215
    Mesa 810 (might be a bit expensive though)
    Mesa Powerhouse 1000
    Schroeder 310212
    Schroeder 21012 (maybe even 2, that would be sweet)
    Eden 410
    Eden 610
    Eden 810
    SWR Gol III (410, 610, or 810, maybe with a Bertha)
    If you go for the GK route, beware that they are known for being really Hi-Fi, which isn't necessarily a good thing in a metal band. Try before you buy.

14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    All the options listed are good ones. I think you couldn't really go wrong with the GK 1001RB or an Ampeg. You could also go with a QSC RMX series power amp and add an Ampeg preamp (you can always find a good used price, there's one in the classifieds right now). If you never loved the your old GK b/c it was a little too clean, you would probably prefer the ampeg is my guess.

BTW, that early 80's BC Rich Eagle sounds killer :bassist:

15. I use my Peavey firebass and avatar 212 in a metal band, but that's like a super budget setup. The Mesa Boogie M-pulse 600 and powerhouse 4x10 and 1x15 sound Amazing, but thats probably over the budget. I play rehearsals in a practice studio every wednesday through a GK 1001RB and an Ampeg 8x10 and it killer for metal. Try out the GK 8x10, its got a horn so you turn it up to get some snap if you want it.

16. i used a peavey firebass 700 and a 4x10 cab (with a sansamp BDDI), but recently upgraded the head to an SVT II, firebass is the backup

not had a chance to gig with it yet, but sure will be sweet i think

(good ol' hardcore)

17. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Find yourself a used Ampeg SS 150H guitar head, usually less than $200 on ebay. Thats what I use to power an SVT 410HE + SVT 15E. The wattage of the stock amp isn't gonna blow any doors off, its usually "just" enough at 4 ohms... but the tone is punchy, grindy & thick. If it's not loud enough, use it to slave your favorite power amp... but if your bass rig will be running through the PA at most of your gigs, it should be loud enough as is. The power amp section of the SS 150H has a very beefy sound. On a bigger stage I will sometimes choose tone over power... meaning it may need to be fed through the monitors (which sometimes may not sound so great)... but i don't care because mic'd up it sounds huge out front.

BTW, I like the Eagle... used to play one myself.

18. Instead of using a SS ampeh head for its pre, would it not be better to try and get an SVP Pro or SVP CL ?

19. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Hey guys, thanks for all the follow up. I picked myself up a GK1001RB II and an Ampeg PR 410 HLF and threw in some EMG pickups. I couldn't be happier with the sound, definition and punch that I'm getting. Still tweaking the EQ, but cutting through nicely with two guitars cranked.

20. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Sorry to step on your post cola_klinks, but I need to answer this question. Have you ever heard the SS150H used as bass rig, i_got_a_mohawk?

I have owned an SVP Pro & SVP CL (I prefer the CL over the Pro) & I currently own a '74 SVT in mint conditon loaded with all NOS tubes and still use my SS150H for 99% of my gigs because it sounds bad ass for metal (a lot like the '74 SVT believe it or not), its usually enough power on its own & it is light as a feather (well maybe 30-35 lbs). It really is a sleeper amp that sells for dirt cheap & if you like the "Dimebag" type of guitar sound, then you will love the dirty channel for guitar.