1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help please!! Horn protection bulb for Ampeg BSE410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Femto, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    A month or so ago, I found that my cab was unusually muddy sounding. :eyebrow: After

    further investigation, I discovered that the protection bulb had blown. I thought, "oh,

    no sweat I'll just pop down to the electronics shop and pick a handful up."

    Ha, no chance. I've been searching for weeks now and no joy, so has anyone got any idea

    as to

    a. What the heck type of wacky bulb this is


    b. Where I'm likely to get some? :confused: (bulbs) ;)

    I'm getting a bit anxious now becuase I have a row of gigs lined up starting in a couple

    of weeks :help:

    Here's some photos of the one I removed. The straight wires on either side aren't part of the bulb, they've been soldered on (by Ampeg) to mount the bulb onto the circuit board.


    Also, in case these bulbs aren't available easily, what voltage and wattage are they so I can find an equivalent?

    Thanks people,

    West Yorkshire , England.
  2. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Commonly available at any auto parts store, usually used as dome light bulbs in american cars. Some have suggested that Harley Davidson motorcyle stores carry a version that is more suited to vibration issues.
  3. cb56


    Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    How 'bout your local Ampeg dealer.
  4. Cheers Eric, I've tried a few auto spares stores and they looked at me blankly and suggested I tried Radio Shack (hahahahahaha, don't make me laugh) so my next stop is the Harley Dealer in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

    My "Local" Ampeg dealer is in London, about 240 miles away, so that's a bit far... good suggestion though :)
  5. It's a 36volt, 54 watt (1.5 ampere) bulb. Not easy to find. Theres a speaker place close by me that carries them but they've been out of stock. Ampeg sells them for 6 bucks I believe which if I can find cheaper I'll go that route. Probably only costs them a buck or 2. My 610hlf blew one to and as soon as I can replace the fuse I'm selling that cab. I heard people have gotten by with the 12 volt ones from auto parts places but one of the Forum members who works for Ampeg warns the protection level won't be the same. You could try a motorcycle place or a place that sells parts for trucks.

    Good Luck.
  6. tim4003


    Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    These bulbs can be found at an aircraft parts supply. Try around your nearest airport.
  7. Right, I'll try a Harley dealer and an aircraft supply shop. Thanks people once again. I've found a bullet ended bulb which is 12v 18w, that also works out at 1.5A so I'll try it tonight once I solder some equipment wire onto it and then if it works okay, I'll post in here so others can at least be sorta sure it's gonna work for them.
    As for the protection level, I run with -6dB dialled into the back of the cab anyway so I might get away with it. :rolleyes:
  8. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The bulb info listed above is correct.

    We obviously have the bulbs, but with you in the UK, that may not help you much.

    The bulb looks just like several standard 12V types. If you use a 12V type, the protection indeed may be incorrect.

    Depends on the rated current of the bulb. If it is similar (1.5A, or 18 watts at 12V) it will act as a fuse. But it will probably be over-sensitive, since it will fail at too low a total power. If the bulb rated current is higher, it won't protect at all, and if the rated bulb current is lower, it won't last long.

    The 36V 54W bulb allows the bulb and horn to withstand full power on a powerful unit like the SVT-4PRO, because the sum of the bulb voltage and the allowable voltage on the horn is high enough.

    The ones we use are special because they have the extra terminal wires welded on as-received. But there is no reason why wires couldn't be soldered onto the wire loops at the ends of a standard type.

    For that matter, if you can find 12V 1.5 A (18 watt) bulbs locally, three in series would be just about as good as the one 36V bulb. They would respond a little slower, and they would be inconvenient to securely attach, but you'd be back in business faster.

    I'd think the importer should have the bulbs....we can get them some if they don't have them... or you can get them from us, although I am not clear on the mechanics of ordering direct.

    I'll check that out, no sense you waiting so long for a simple part.
  9. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Service can take international orders from individuals. Typically via credit card, but ask about alternatives.

    Due to time differences, and phone costs, email is probably best

    Email: Service-intl@slme.com

    Bulb part number is 49-205-01

    The shipping may be a bit high, any local sources or the importer may be considerably cheaper, if you can find the part.

    BTW, some early units may have several 12V 1A bulbs of the same style instead. I don't think you gave the cabinet model, I can check to be sure what you have if you do.

    The 12V are auto "dome lights" (interior lighting) and readily available, since they are used on both US and non-US vehicles.
  10. jarvispa1


    Mar 12, 2013
    yes i replace mine in my ampeg svt 410hlf cab. it cost me about $2 from ampeg when u call loud technologies (ampeg)18002586883 just tell them u need a 36v 1.5a pc lamp part number is 49.205-01
  11. After almost 9 years, I would hope the OP got it sorted out
  12. Yep, I got it fixed. haven't had that cab for about 8 years though. I've since moved to a Gallien Krueger 1001RB amp and an Ampeg 810AV. No tweeters to toast in the first place there. :D

    Thanks everybody!