Help resolve this crazy situation.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ironmaidenisgod, May 25, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I have a guitarist friend who I've jammed with for a year,both as a guitarist and a bassist.Though we're both approaching 18 we share a common taste in music which is far removed from ordinary(NWOBHM/thrash).

We got a new band together and a great vocalist(he can sing).But he wants to transform our band into a nu-age/rap-metal band.Though it's not my style of music I'm okay with it,but the guitarist is not.Both are too valuable to be lost. :help: .
  2. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    What is NWOBHM?

Not Without Our Butt Helmets Man is all I can come up with.
  3. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    :D New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

like Iron Maiden,Judas Priest,Motorhead,Def Leppard and Venom.
  4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    If the singer really wants to rap some, and the guitar player really doesn't want to have anyone rapping, there's a, you want to be in two bands? Should be fun.

If y'all stick it out, I suggest some rapping over "Pour Some Sugar on Me". :D

5. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    That's an idea.Tell Joe Elliot.He'll be thrilled.
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    The vocals pretty much are rap on pour some sugar
  7. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    That much rapping our guitar player can take.He can't stand the Linkin' Park/Limp Bizkit stuff which our singer loves.
  8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think that you need to side with the guitar player. He seems to have the best taste.
  9. I've been in a band that has actually done that...

A great vocalist is hard to find, and good guitarists are a dime a dozen. I see no reason why you can't be in two different projects.
  10. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Question: Just what, exactly, is new about any of those bands?

Also: Rap-metal sucks unless it's an old RATM cd. Tell the singer to stop being a tool.
  11. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Sounds like a 2 band situation to me too. No sense in you losing out on an opportunity just because the two aren't on the same page. I imagine it would be pretty easy for you to find a guitarist that wants to do the nu/rapmetal thing and then you can also get out some of your creativity by jamming with the guitarist who is more into your style (thrash,etc).
  12. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i think one of the most important things of being in a band is not holding on too firm to your personal views and favourites. maybe u can come up with something that everybody likes along the way.
    i play in a rock band at the moment but i prefer playing funk/soul and friki stuff like primus.

couple years back i refused to play anything i didn't like. the result was that i played in a lot of different bands. i regret that now because it was stupid and selfish.

go with the flow
  13. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Sounds like he is, and the guitarist is the one that won't open up to the wonders of cRAP metal.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Write all the styles of music all you want to play. Do a show and see what goes and what don't, let the people decide...
  15. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    This term was coined in the 70's.
  16. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Nah man,the situation is settled.The vocalist has allowed our guitar player to do his soloes and riffs more complicated than 0-1-0-1-0-2-0-2.His lyrics are difficult to digest-

'All you f**king bi*ches in the galaxy.....',

but the guitarist has said as long as he gets to do his soloes,
    ( :D imagine Linkin' Park with a solo),everything is fine.
  17. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Good to hear it - put it all in the pot, season with a little mutual respect and get cooking! :D

18. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice, good luck. Should be an interesting project..
  19. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Do a cover of Run-D.M.C.'s King of Rock. It's a Rap tune with wailing lead guitar all through the entire "song". ;)
  20. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Rap in metal sucks. Keep it real.