1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help: Rock/Metal/Blues Bass effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by demonmalfas, Aug 26, 2012.

1. demonmalfas

demonmalfas

Aug 26, 2012
    Hello all.
    I used to have a line 6 bass xt live but I decided to change to analog effects... so, I'm trying to figure it out wich ones to buy.

At the beginning, I only can buy aroun 500 u$ in pedals, so I've to choose ...
    Any suggestion?

I've read I should have a compressor, overdrive/distortion, a phaser or flanger...

So thanks for any highlight

2. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    You 'shouldn't' use anything at all, but can choose to do so if a bass>amp setup isn't giving you the sound you're looking for.

Which effects did you like and use in the XT Live?

3. bobbertdole

bobbertdole

Jul 13, 2012
    Anything by tech 21 will be great for overdrive/distortion/preamp my favorite by them is the tri ac but like i said its all great.

4. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Focusing on the metal and rock sections:

A compressor is very common, but not essential. It can be used to keep your low end constant and heavy compression is a big part in some metal musicians tones.

If you do use an overdrive then it would also be good to have a clean blend either on or along side it to help you stay cutting through. A popular one for this is the Tech 21 sansamp BDDI.

Phasers/flangers aren't really used that much on bass in metal. It would be good to have one anyway for the rock and blues sections.

I would suggest looking at an octave pedal to help beef up lines played higher up on the neck and it is pretty much essential for most genres, I would suggest a polyphonic one though as it would cope better on high speed riffs.

5. Bass Big Muff. It is cheap, and you get an aggressive tone by whacking up the tone and sustain, with picking.

6. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Though if you are using it with a rock or metal band then you will not be heard at all due to the mid scoop.

7. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    I would get a nice tuner, an overdrive, and a fuzz (not the bass muff), if you are playing rock. I love delays too, but that isn't a must have.

I don't use a compressor, but I can see why they are useful. A reverb can sound cool in some settings but I don't always like them.

For most basic rock sounds, an od or fuzz is a good start.

Sorry, I am pretty unhelpful. I think it is easy to go overboard on what you *need* for any type of music. What is your favorite bass player? What did you use a lot of on your multi- pedal?

8. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I would get another Line 6 Bass Pod Live XT, and a Line 6 M9 to go with it.

9. demonmalfas

demonmalfas

Aug 26, 2012
    First... thanx to all for your time for giving some feedback here.

As you can see, I'm a total ignorant about fx pedals... so I'm trying to get some basic advices.

My favorite bass player?
    Rock talking, I like pretty much Cliff Burton (Metallica), Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Metal talking, there's a lot... If you could check... I like these kind of tone... a lot of mids I think
    Rapture -

So far, I've watched a lot of demo videos and seems pretty cool pedals:
    mxr compressor
    aguilar overdrive

What do you think about M-80 distortion?

Im open to every advice you can get me.

Thanks a lot.

10. You don't "have to" own any specific effects. You could go clean from bass to amp and sound great. And that is the final answer on effects you "should" have.

Now you can move onto effects that might add to your sound and you may like having at your fingertips (or your toes is more accurate).

You said you used to own a multi-effects unit, well what were the effects that you liked using on it? Your own experience is a good place to start from/ because in the end no matter what any of us tell you, what your ears tell you is all that matters.

You may have $500 to spend on effects, but spending it all at once might not be the best start. You get 3 or 4 all at once it might color your impressions of the pedals. Take it from someone who has bought and sold WAY too many pedals, its a slippery slope.

Just a few suggestions... wait a month, get to know your own sound, without effects. If you are in a band, it can be helpful to hear what just your bass and amp sound like in a band mix. Also-what kind of effects does Flea use, or what did Cliff use? This is well documented and could help point you in the right direction.

Most important - have fun and be patient. It'll happen. Good luck!

11. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    For most of my rocky gigs, i use two stages of drive- an always on light drive ( in my case the dod fx91) and a full on drive (b3k).
    The rest is just to taste really. I currently run octave (mxr), fuzz (mxr), wah (weeping demon), chorus (also mxr!), and delay (guess who makes that ?!)
    Btw ime the aguilar is a distortion, and got lost in the mix no matter how I used it.

12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i think the aguilar is totally underrated, with low saturation and countour at the 9 oclock pos, you can get very nice sounding overdrive like Timmy C's, that just my opinion though, maybe i am biased because i love the tone of the pedal too much.

13. demonmalfas

demonmalfas

Aug 26, 2012
    Do you use the guitar weeping demon as bass wah?

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Judging from what you play, it sounds like you need an overdrive pedal. the way huge electronics pork loin would be a great choice for what you play. if you wanted a modulation pedal for your style of music, I think a flanger pedal would be an excellent choice.

15. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Anything by:
    Tech 21
    Aguilar
    EBS
    MXR

Specifically: MultiComp->AGRO->M152 Flanger->BDDI

16. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Yes mate. On both guitar and bass settings

17. demonmalfas

demonmalfas

Aug 26, 2012
    Thanks to all.
    Im wathching lot of overdrive pedal demo videos... and the b3k darkglass is awesome... but too expesive... almost 300u$

Any opinnion about mxr M80?

18. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    Tube Amp + Micro Pog + Steel Leather (EHX) = metal crushing tone a la Brian Cook, Caleb Schofield, etc

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    MXR M80 is decent - clean channel is very clean. Distortion channel automatically scoops the midrange when you engage it. It definitely loses body in the tone department and sounds terrible in my opinion. Not worth it, but give it whilr if you have a chance.

Take the advice as stated above - work without pedals until you understand the sounds you are going for. I started off with too many pedals right away and ended up selling a bunch and being overly frustrated for no reason.

20. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

Aug 18, 2008
    I use m80 and i think it's great eq and a preamp, but i really don't dig/use the distortion. When i need some grit i use my way huge green rhino. I also had the pork loin which gets alot of love here. But imo the green rhino is more bass friendly. Great for rock music and could fit to your needs. And not that expensive either