Help the recording noob

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassPlayerRH, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Ok, I'm in a band and we have a Fostex MR-8 recorder. It's cool and all, but when we transfer the songs we record on there onto my drummer's computer and burn cds, the audio seems very quiet. Do we need a program to edit sound levels or is there a simple step I am missing? Thanks for your time.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pretty much any burn progam has a feature called "normalisation", this helps you get rid of volume differences between pieces and raise the overall level if it's too low.
  3. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Before you start normalizing stuff make sure you are getting good hot levels to begin with as close to zero without going over. Normalize should be a last resort. Even if you have somewhat quite tracks go ahead and do your mix, then run the whole mix through some kind of limiting plug in. Ultramaximizer if you have it, or Wavehammer is pretty common. That will allow you to boost your signal and trim off the peaks. If you normalize yeah it will make it "louder" but when you normalize you retain your dynamics and so the points that go over zero sound like ass cuz they just get squared off, where as a limiter will compress them down and is much more musical.