1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help With Bass Sound

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jazlikethat, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Jazlikethat

Jazlikethat

Feb 25, 2008
    Howdy

I was just looking for some advice. Currently, I'm using this bass

http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/prodinfo.asp?number=BA109

with a Full Circle pickup. My amp is a Line 6 Studio 110. My problem is that no matter how much tinkering I do with this setup my bass just sounds like bass noise as opposed to a double bass. I saw someone on this forum use the word "tubby" and I think that applies. I thought this was something I'd be forced to live with until I listened to Brian Bromberg's album Wood in which you can hear every rattle and such and the notes are defined. Any advice on how I can get a more natural tone? Is it simply the bass I'm using? Also, I saw people mention the facing of my Full Circle matters. Right now my threads are facing up.

Thanks mucho!

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What kind of strings are you using?

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Howdy s'more.

You might have to start a process of elimination, like:

1. Try your bass into a different amp.
    2. Try a different bass, even a bass guitar, into your amp.
    3. Try a different cable into your amp.
    4. Have someone else play your upright bass through your amp.

If you can get a good sound out of the bass acoustically, and the Full Circle is installed properly, then maybe the problem is the amp. (That would be a shame. I want to buy that amp for my 10 year old son who just started playing slab.)

[ Edit: If everything is set up right on the bass and pickup, I would think you should be able to get a good starting point type tone with the EQ on the amp set flat, all presets disengaged. ]

Was the Full Circle installed by the folks at Lemur? And was the bass set up there? Assuming you bought it straight from them.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Don't want to jump to conclusions, but maybe a high pass filter would help clean up the excessive tubbiness. I think there may be other factors at play here preventing you from getting the tone you have in your head, but I wanted to mention that and maybe come back to it later after you do some other experimentation.

And jallenbass's question is a great one. I think Brian Bromberg uses Spiros, which are (as a generalization) very bright and zingy, if that's the sound you like. I am familiar with his tone on the recording Wood II.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What's your background? How long have you been playing? How long have you been playing upright? Who do you study with and what do you study with them?

It may be that everyone is just tired of hearing it, but it has been my experience that problems with sound production are more likely addressed at the beginning of the signal chain. That is, physical approach, shoulders/arms/hands. The only way to get a warm projecting sound with a focused attack and three dimensional breadth out of the amp is to get one out of the bass first.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Yup. Point #4 in post #3 was my subtle way of saying the same thing.

Seems a little odd though that rt. hand technique under development shall we say would produce a "tubby" tone. Usually the result is a thin or weak tone I thought. But I'm still learning too.

7. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ed is correct that your amp will never put out anything better than you are capable of playing. On the other hand, it takes quite some time to make significant improvement in your playing, but you can check out your equipment pretty quickly.

What's the impedance on the input of your amp? You didn't mention using a preamp (for impedance matching).

[edited to add]
    oh no. I've turned into the "see if a preamp makes a difference" guy.

8. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    I don't think a line 6 10" combo is such a great URB amp either. I would try another amp if it's possible.

9. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I don't know this amp how work on upright bass, but the full circle works perfectly for me. I think no pickup on the market which sounds natural like a neuman mic in the studio. I think the hand technique is the most important, try different right hand attitudes, see on videos how the players are play with the right hand. Another important thing with the left hand pull the strings down as you can, but without being tense. A very good pickup sometimes doesin't work well on a not very good instrument, sometime a cheap pickup sounds better. I know that sounds strange, but sometimes seems true.

10. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    :)