1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with digital camera purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumzini, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    1. I did a search.
    2. I've checked many many reviews of this particular camera.

I just wanted to get some real world opinions of the Canon S5is digital camera. Whether anyone has one or from anyone that is in the know.

The reason I'm looking into it is that it seems to be a step below total SLR. Gives me the manual controls to get started into photography...yet seems simple enough for the wife to pick up and use. Also that it seems to take very good video. I know a lot of people will say if you want a digital video camera go get one...but hey...if I can get two in one...why not? On a certain site I'm able to get the camera for $279 shipped...so it seems to be a good deal to me and I'm pretty much sold...but I so value the opinion of my fellow TB'ers.

2. Don't worry about easy of use with an SLR. My wife or kids can pick up my D200 and take perfect point and shoot, autofocus shots, no problemo. You just have to set it in that mode which is very easy. It also allows you all the fully manual settings and focus to get very creative. It's definately the best of both worlds.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I guess as far as the SLR aspect was the cost factor. I see they are a lil bit pricier than what we can get. So I guess at the the $279 price point I felt that the S5 was the best for the money, for what we want in a camera.