1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with stage setup and monitors

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jconary, Sep 7, 2008.

1. jconary

jconary

May 18, 2008
    Germantown, MD
    I play in a Christian Worship Band and like most churches we have limited space to setup. I think that this had led to a group of related problems but I don't have enough experience with live performance to know.
    I will briefly describe the problems and our setup and hope that some of you can provide some guidance.
    Problems: 1) Can not hear the singers or the guitar player on a routine basis, 2) On occasion the guitar player's volume goes into the stratosphere (not using a boost or volume pedal), 3) No drummer,

Setup:
    I am to the right of the keyboard player and about a foot to the right and in front of the keyboard amp. The drummer (when we have one) is to my right (about 6 feet) and I am slightly rear of the kick drum. Singers and guitar player are in front of me (guitar amp is about two feet in front of the kick drum). Right hand monitor is about 10 feet to my right and the left hand monitor is about 15 feet to my left. The monitors face each other (the singers and guitar player are the creme inside the monitor Oreo).

Thanks for the help.

Jon

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Well guitar amps are very directional so its important to get them behind you. Or if they are put through a PA try get them to point across the stage rather than towards the audience.

Your guitarist could be turning up on his instrument maybe by accident or on purpose or could have faulty equipment (does the volume increase happen at the amp or in the PA)

....get a drummer

3. jconary

jconary

May 18, 2008
    Germantown, MD
    The volume increase is at the amp. It is a small Vox. The amp also will add heavy distortion on a whim. Could be bad.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Well its obviously broken he should bring it to a repair tech.