Help with unwanted string noise...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Steve Harris Is, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    I have been playing for 3 months or so now and about 1 month ago I switched from pick style playing to fingers. I am feeling like I am progressing well but one thing I am noticing, especially on steady 8th notes, is that I am getting a lot of intermittent string noise that's similar to when you would "tap" a string while also fretting a note. For example, fret the D on 5th fret of A string and then tap the string lightly. That's the noise I seem to get a lot while playing and am not sure if it's just lack of experience or something easily fixable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The goal for me when I was starting was to control the movement and volume consistency of the string as much as possible.
    Talking about technique on the net is pretty much a crapshoot, but to me it sounds like you could be using to much flesh and you're plucking too heavy.
    Try instead to concentrate more power to the finger tips and use your plucking fingers as much as you can to control the string.
    You're learning a totally new technique, so just take your time and keep at it. ;)
  3. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Your description sounds to me like you're talking about the sound that comes from lifting your fretting finger off the string. On notes that have harmonics - like the D on the A string - this can be worse, because you do sometimes hear the (unwanted) harmonic.

You didn't say if your eighth notes were the SAME note or different ones, or whether you want to play staccato or legato.

In any case, a better [alternative] muting technique - or none at all, depending on note length - seems to be your solution.
  4. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    Yes that very note seems to be one of the worst offenders.

I am going to keep playing around with finger striking techniques, etc and just try to clean up the sound. Thanks for info/help guys.