1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bmxican414, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Bmxican414

Bmxican414

Mar 6, 2012
    Hey so I have been trying to learn other positions for several scales that I like to use when playing. Problem is that I can not find a book that shows me the other patterns/positions. I tried using the one on studybass that shows you all the notes for a given scale in a given key. It helps, but is not quite what I am looking for. I am looking for something that gives me all positions for a Scale. Example Major pentantontic Postion 1-5, then a list a of patterns. Anyone know where I could find such a thing

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The book your looking for is called the Bass Guitarists Girmoire. I like the book, and found it very helpful. Most people on the site do not recommend it if you want to learn actual theory, but it will show you many scales with all the different fingerings..

3. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    You don't need no book to learn that stuff or know every pattern by heart, it's BS. All you need it's to know is the actual notes that make the scale. Once you learn this, you can finger the scale in any shape or form anywhere on the neck.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    If you really know the scale and the fingerboard, you don't need a book of patterns.

Knowing the scale means you know the names of the notes, and what the scale sounds like, not just where to put your fingers

John

5. Bmxican414

Bmxican414

Mar 6, 2012
    Oh ok, I know the scales by patterns and the steps like half whole and all the jazz. So i should learn the notes within the scale for every key, Like the c major pentantonic contains such and such notes?

6. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    One of the first things to be learned is where all the notes are on the FB. After that, if you know all the notes of a given scale, you can play that scale using different fingerings.

7. keyofnight

keyofnight

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Everyone says that—if you know the notes on the FB, and if you know the notes in the scale, you won't need to learn patterns from a book…

But what about the people who better understand fingering patterns than music notational patterns? Hell…when they taught me music theory, they taught me to visualize chord patterns on a piano, "This is what a major chord can look like…" Is there no value in learning fretboard patterns?

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Nothing wrong with knowing patterns. However, what if someone asks you to play a say, Gmaj. scale. You know what the major pattern is, but how do you know where to start ? :confused:

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Plus: knowing the notes can help you to play the scale in various ways and any pattern on the fretboard. That way you can play various patterns in the same groove without having to really think about it.
    There is an interview with Carol Kaye that she says something really smart about the subject:
    Nowadays people try to teach "play this scale and this pattern over that chord", and that's BS. If you know the chordal notes or the notes that are part of the key you're in, you can play it anywhere, anyway and freely. Other than that, you kindda get stuck in a rut.

10. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    pentatonic-minor.

major_scale_3perString.

How to use:

Major Scale

Take the root (red) note of the first pattern and place that on the key you wish to play in. These are drawn in 'E'. If you want to play in A Major for example, start the first major pattern on the 5th fret (A) of the low E string.

If you want to play in E minor, start with the 6th pattern on the open E string - the first, lowest note in that pattern will be your root note (E). Next comes the 7th pattern, then go back to the 1st pattern, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Pentatonic Minor

Same deal as above. Drawn in E minor. If you want to play Major pentatonic start your root on the second pattern and move your way up - the last pattern will be the first one drawn.

The blue 'X' is the 'blue' note.

There is a reason why these are drawn 2 and 3 notes per string. Learn the patterns as drawn first and when you become comfortable & familiar with them you can add / subtract notes per string as you desire.

-Good luck!