Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland, Dejohnette

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xolin, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Just saw 'em...AMAZING..in DB forum because Holland is DB, but he USED to play BG (when he was 11 :p)...

Thread

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Glad you saw a good show.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    So, Holland was only 11 when he gigged with Miles?
    Happenin'. ;)

There is a DVD of Hancock-Holland-DeJohnette-Metheny out there...sooner or later, I probably need to pick that one up.

4. lol...

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive got a video taped from japanese tv of the new standard band and its killer. ive only seen herbie live during the headhunters reunion tour and i would have loved to see that group anong with brecker and scofield.

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The 'New Standards' tour band was Herbie, Dave Holland, John Scofield, Michael Brecker, Jack DeJohnette, and Don Alias, right?

I saw one of their concerts last year on 'the Performance Channel' over here. Dave Holland played upright throughtout, but strapped on a 4-string electric bass for the last piece, a reworking of a Prince song.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yup, might have been the same show. i cant remember if its the last song or not, but he does play that mtd acoustic bass guitar.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I caught the Boston show (last of the four they were doing...four shows is a tour?). I enjoyed it thoroughly.

DeJohnette had a much lighter approach than I was expecting. He's worked with Dave for years but I had never seen them together, a real treat.

Dave seriously funked up Canteloupe Island. Man I can't play like that on EBG, let along DB!

9. Yeah, that's what I thought, too! It'snot hard to funk it up but his solo was cool. I still loved his you got it bad bop solo more.
    Also, Herbie's solo on you got it bad was one of the best things I've ever seen :eek: :eek: Just an incredible display!

If you get a chance to see Herbie live, take it.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    On a tangent...to the fans of the Dave Holland Quintet-
    I stumbled over to the Jazz drummer/guru's house in my hood...he informed me that Billy Kilson is out(took a gig with Bob James) & local Chesapeake boy Nate Smith is now drumming for Holland.
    Damn...where have I been?!