here we go again - rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by silent method, Jul 14, 2005.

1. [rant]

Wow, is it just me or are there fewer and fewer people who know how to make a proper and meaningful post. I see far too often when people simply post "Get a Fender! Nuff said!"

How is this helpful at all. All this tells the reader is that you have a bias to Fender products but have no real way of backing it up. I find a lot of this "information" or lack there of is usually about products I doubt the poster has ever tried, they just like the name or the trend and want to post somthing in a thread they really have no point in posting in.

In a recent Lakland vs. Fender thread atleast half the posts were quite simply "Lakland" and I'm willing to bet dollars to dohnuts that atleast half of those posts came from people who have never played a Lakland much less know anything about it other then it is pretty and becoming trendy.

Please if you have an opinoin back it up with facts or stay they hell off the post reply button. Thank you.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a matter of personal taste but i understand why you would want a littel more reason behind the answer . I would personaly go for a Lakland Hollow Body their is a really nice one off Blueburst one in a lakland thread in basses.
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    A Canadian with balls?

Sorry, couldn't offense intended....
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

Bovinehost's reason: :)

It looks different. Now just walk away from the visual aspects and play one.

Construction is exactly the kind of work you expect from the Ernie Ball crew. Everything is tight, smooth and even the fancy knob layout feels right once you figure it out. Why don't other manufacturers figure out this truss rod thing? You stick a screwdriver or an icepick or whatever in one of the little holes in the wheel and - ta da! - you're adjusting your truss rod! Is this so hard? Plus there are small details like little funky grooves in the bass side of the pickups - the perfect place to anchor finger, thumb or very small watercraft.

The neck is painted. The paint is under the finish, which makes sense when and if you consider it. It feels just like a finished neck, which again makes a considerable amount of sense. It feels GOOD.

You want Stingray tone? You got it. Much better than the Sterling or Stingray 5. It does the Stingray thing. Then you dial in that neck pickup and suddenly the first five rows are losing dental work and all cartilage turns gelatinous. Do not play this around sharks or rays. It's big, it's fat, it's a Bongo and you want one.

The electronics kill. I was in a situation a while back in which there was no bass amp. Expecting a bass amp, I had no DI, so I had to plug directly into the PA. Do not do this if you don't have to, but, if you do have to, get a Bongo. The high mid/low mid controls saved me.

I have played rock, country, blues and, in a series of events that should fall through the cracks of hisotry, Christmas music with this Bongo. It has such a wide range of usable tone that I would not hesitate to play polka or perhaps join some kind of didgeridoo orchestra and I would dare them to make fun of my Bongo.

Buy one. Or, do what I did - buy two.
  5. Yes, and I have heard that lefties are now available - GAS!!!
  6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

BTW, not to make this a meaningfull post or anything, but how about adding "Lame Generic Thread Titles" too your list. I'm sick of seeing:

"Check This out"

"New Bass"

"This is wierd"

"Did you know that..."
  7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    My new Bongo is due the first week of August!

But I didn't post it cuz those threads are starting to annoy me too.

Ya know what's becoming a peeve of mine, people who obviously post for no reason other than to raise the number of posts they have at TB. As if that's some sort of status symbol. There are a few people here who comment on just about every thread saying things like - "true" or "conratulations" or "I agree" or "nice bass" or some dumbass thing just to seemingly pop in on a thread.

As much as I love talkbass and it's helped my bass playing career, I'm sometimes actually embarrassed by my post count - as in like I should be spending more time playing bass than getting into pointless conversations like this one here. no offense. just the truth. isn't all I just wrote here nothing more than a waste of about 7 minutes? I'm gonna go get a haircut now.
  8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

how about the people who post 5 consecutive posts that are replys to 5 previous posts rather than reply to them all in one post?

And how about people who post just to hijack in some other point they wanted to make?

9. Not at all man, you are express a valid opinion and that is a good thing. Forums wouldn't survive without people expressing themself. All I am asking is for people with an opinion to please share it but back it up or explain it. Posting the word "Lakland" dosn't mean a thing.

Are you saying its good? Are you saying its bad?

sh!t if I know.
  10. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Be sure to post pics when you get back! ;)
  11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

More reasons to get a Bongo, also courtesy of Bovinehost:

The dual humbucker model Bongo will:

- shave your cat while you're asleep.

- if left to its own devices, destroy large Japanese cities and fight giant, flying, fire-breathing turtles.

- insult retired people.

The single coil/humbucker model will:

- style your girlfriend's hair.

- talk large Japanese cities into destroying themselves.

- convince annoying retired people to move to Idaho.

And yes, another Bongo is in sight for next year. My fretted 5-string wants a toothless twin sister. :D
  12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm gonna be late for my damn haircut appointment now cuzz I'm wasting time here.

Just to get back ON TOPIC for a sec, I do agree. A lot of people post stuff like "Lakland" and know nothing about it. I think it's evident by the fact that they're posting only "Lakland". Did I spell that right?
  13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Silent, we have alot of kids here. Most of them are over 18 too.

That is why you get some meaningless posts.

Fender rules. Lakland fellates Leo Fender's phallus :p :spit: :bag:
  14. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Your TB career
    How to ward off frustration
    Only post haiku
  15. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I always get a kick out of the "Check out Avatar" posts in any thread having to do with a cab purchase.