1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey all, new member & seeking advice

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by OneAri, Jan 1, 2013.

1. OneAri

OneAri

Jan 1, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Hey all, new member but not entirely new to bass

I'm looking to replace my Dean Z with something more suitable for jazz/indie/funk around the £250 ($300ish)
    I was toying with the idea of either an Epi T-Bird Pro IV or a Squier Jaguar Modified
    any advice is appreciated

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Welcome to Talkbass! Have fun here. remember --as on all forums--you have some really wise heads here and some not-so-wise idiots. Sometimes they make you need a thick skin. But otherwise there is an amazing amount of detailed knowledge among TB members.
    Cheers---MEKer

PS: cannot go wrong with the Squire. Just make sure to play it first in the store to get the right one.

3. BassBandit

BassBandit

Feb 25, 2011
    Bloomfield NJ
    Hi Ari
    The Great thing about Basses and Guitars is there's A Ton of brands and Models to chose from starting at just over $100.00 to $10,000 plus, there's Also thousands of modification parts out there from p/u's to electronics and hardware. The Most Important factor in buying an instument is That You're Happy and Satisfied with What you buy and What You can Afford to spend on it.Getting Others Oppinions are Great, but in the End it needs to be Exactly what You want. You may want a Specific model, but might want to change the p/u's.After I got sick to occupy my time, I decided to teach myself to build basses and guitars. I've sold a few however my apartment looks like a Guitar Center show and store room lol, I've got basses, guitars and parts Everywhere

Bottom Line play Everything in your price range you can. If you have decent speakers on your computer, You Tube has videos of just about Any p/u posted you can imagine.There are ALot of Very oppinionated players about gear, and we All know the saying regarding oppinions.Listen to others suggestions, play as Many different brands and models, but in the End, You're the one that has to live with the Choice You Make

4. OneAri

OneAri

Jan 1, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks both for the advice, I think building my own bass is still a long way off yet, opted for the thunderbird and i'm not disappointed, the squiers sadly not as playable for me (may modify the t-bird in the not too distant future but i'll consult the good people of TB before I even think seriously about it)
    Many thanks :)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021