Hey, gospel folks, Andrew Gouche?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lordradish, Jan 31, 2020.

1. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Hey,

I've been playing in my local gospel choir for almost 17 years now... It's a gig, a good one, that enables me to go out of my comfort zone from time to time, and play with some really top-tier musicians. Outside of what we play, though, I don't really listen to much gospel, as I'm pretty much the opposite of religious and my personal listening is in a much different realm, nowadays. Vermont's a pretty secular place, so there aren't a lot of straight-up gospel musicians up here. That said, I do a pretty decent job, as I'm very familiar with the older stylings of gospel and work my butt off with the more modern new stuff we do. One thing I do believe in is the power of music, so it's a good situation.

Anyways, a few days ago, I saw that video on Scott's Bass Lessons where he had Andrew Gouche on there. I was absolutely floored, and I ran upstairs right away and played my butt off, that night. Can any of you in the know recommend some great gospel albums he's done in the last few years where he's really prominent? I only ask because he seems to be quite prolific. WHat are some of your faves, and why? Thanks!

ElectroVibe, Alex Bass and LM Bass like this.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    He’s a great player. He lives just down the street from me. He put on a masterclass a couple months ago that I attended. Really good info, fun stories.

cableguy and lordradish like this.
  3. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Lol you've been playing gospel for 17 years and have never heard someone play like that? He is one of the pioneers of modern gospel bass, but there are guys out there that are as good or better. Don't limit yourself. Just search for uptempo gospel music and you can't help, but hear his influence.

Jhengsman and lordradish like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    lordradish likes this.
  5. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Oh, I have, from time to time, this is probably the first time I paid a lot more attention than in the past.

6. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Great idea for a thread!:thumbsup:

A few months ago I watched him with Scott Levine playing Chaka and I was floored by his playing.

What really struck me though watching it was just the look of sheer joy on his face while he was playing. He also answers with his playing the question of why a six string.:laugh:

Seeing a seasoned pro like him still obviously loving it so much was downright inspiring too.:)

So yeah, I’d like to know more of his stuff too.:smug::bassist:

lordradish likes this.
  7. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    That's the vid that I saw, too.

8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've watched this video about 10 times and I'm amazed and enthralled every time.

Heavy Blue, Low84 and lordradish like this.
  9. groovin_bassman

groovin_bassman Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Franklin, Ohio
    Yeah, Andrew Gouche is an amazing player! Definitely one of my favorites! Check out these other gospel players... Justin Raines, Maurice Fitzgerald, Terrance Palmer, Alan “Snoop” Evans, Reggie Parker...

10. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    How can you not be?

chris_b and foolforthecity like this.
  11. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I briefly met him at the last Seattle GTG. Super cool dude. It always amazes me how humble some of the monster players are. As for talent & chops. As the kids say....OMG

12. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Check out this time capsule...

13. groovin_bassman

groovin_bassman Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Franklin, Ohio
    Just a few of my faves...

Justin Raines

Reggie Parker

Alan “Snoop” Evans

Billyzoom and Heavy Blue like this.
  14. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    I consider Andrew Goucher to have the best tone regardless of genre or category.

Heavy Blue and groovin_bassman like this.
  15. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I'm tempted to mention that awkward thread about the guy who didn't know what "sit under me" meant but have decided not to.

aguacateojos likes this.
  16. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    But did anyway....

aguacateojos likes this.
  17. I mean, someone had to.

Skillet likes this.
  18. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    So...no suggestions?

I'd sure like to know some recommendations on his Christian work.

A discography is nice but with his number of contributions it would really help to have specific recommendations.

lordradish likes this.
  19. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Sorry to awaken a sleeping thread. My favorite Andrew Gouche bass performance is with the LA Mass Choir "Can't Hold Back." The tune "Make a Way" is a great example of melodic walking gospel bass.

I met A.G. back in 1989. Nicest, most accommodating pro musician I've met. Even let me play his bass after soundcheck. Great guy.

20. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021