Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, Mike N

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You read my other thread, but this is a sub-subject. Sub-subject. I like that word.

Alright, blue book on a 1995 Toyota SR5 4x4 V6 in good condition, CD, non-stock wheels, and a few other things i forgot is $5200

The truck I want is a 1992 Toyota SR5 4x4 v6 in good condition. It has CD, non stock wheels, new rotors, year old radiator, passed CA smog (registered in AZ), and when they checked the compression, it was wearing evenly.

He has it listed at $5500

I know the drill is list it high, and I'm supposed to offer less than what I'm actually willing to pay and we hopefully find a happy medium.

if I do make an offer, I was going to start at 4k, and up it by increments of $50.

sound good?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mike...I'd offer $4500 take it or leave it, and be prepared to leave it. If that one doesn't work out, they'll be others that pop up. The $50 game will result in you bidding higher than you wanna go. Its psuedo ebay!

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So Mike N. is also a used car dealer now?

brad cook

4. I thought the pre-EB SR5 was made by Leo Fender, not Toyota? Were they financing it? And 1995 was certainly in the EB era... :confused:

Randy

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you like the vehicle, pay what you think it's worth and not a dime more.

I don't haggle much, especially when its production line stuff.

6. Bingo. Do your homework, check blue book values. Offer accordingly. Sure, start a little low, be prepared to walk away a little under your final price to see if he'll bite. But if you started at 4k and go up by $50 increments I'd get pissed and hold at my price. If he went for 4K I'd worry he's hiding bad defects and is scared to hold his ground.

If you don't have a car, can you really affort to wait around for a good price on a good car? Usually better to pay what its worth and have it now.

I never understood people in bidding wars in Ebay, its worth a certain price, no more. You dont' "Win" the auction if you paid $550 for a $500 bass.

Randy

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Without actually being able to see the truck I can't tell you what to offer. Also, I tend to take "book value" with a grain of salt (kinda like "list price" on a Bass). There are too many variables, like condition, mileage, auto vs stick, 2 or 4wd, manual or power steering, with or without a/c etc...... Even then I find the "value" to be grossly inflated.

With all that being said, offer what you feel you want to pay for it. See what similar trucks in similar shape are going for in your area and go from there.

Actually I have several friends that are dealers and I spend some time at wholesale auctions looking at cars/trucks before they buy them.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Would you just let me hassle money in peace?! :p

brad cook

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

To ET with you.... you need a 'thpankin'