1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HI-Beams: Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by woo10, Mar 11, 2009.

1. woo10

woo10

Feb 22, 2004
    I bought a pack of DR's HI-Beams from Musician's Friend. It came today but the troubling part is that the package is not sealed anywhere. Not even the individualized envelopes!

Is this normal? Doesn't this expose the strings to the elements for god knows how long?

2. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    my sadowsky black labels came like that too. i think they go bad after reacting with your fingers and being under tension, not from just living in paper envelopes.

3. Normal? yes...

Kinda unstable? yes...

I've never noticed any ill effects though.

4. That's weird, the last time I got those each string was in it's own paper envelope and the box they came in was in plastic shrink wrap.

5. +1 Strange

6. kettch

kettch

Jan 19, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't recall mine being sealed in shrink wrap last time I bought them, either. Weird.

7. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
    +1 strange indeed...
    Might depend where you buy them.

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    It's normal. Remember, they ARE stainless steel :D

9. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    Sometimes I see them with the plastic and sometimes I don't. However when I do see them with the plastic it always has a hole it it from them hanging it up on the rack hooks. So does it really make a difference? I've never had a problem with them either way.

10. Dfinch

Dfinch

Dec 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    The set of Hi-Beams I bought two weeks ago was with no wrap but each string was in it's own envelope.

11. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Well, Musician's Friend has ventured into the used gear market, you know...

Maybe this applies to strings, too. :bag:

But seriously, every pack of DR's that I've purchased have all been shrink wrapped. Definitely an odd occurance...

12. +2, this is how mine came. Got mine from Juststrings.com