Hi from Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JeffBerlin, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Jeff, in your cover of Tears In Heaven, why do you play in such an upbeat manner, rather than the original slower/sadder style?

Was it pre-planned, or just the way it came out?

2. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Jeff, what is it about Mark Bass amps that work for you?

3. bhagiti

bhagiti

Mar 10, 2005
    NW Ohio
    Hello Jeff, you're really cool to do this - Thank you!

Your work on the Bruford records has been a continuing inspiration to me all these years! Your playing and tone on Gradually Going Tornado is incredible (and mercifully mixed better).

It seems English rhythm sections (well, Bruford at least) and American rhythm sections are completely different animals. Between those concerns and the many styles of music you've played, to what do you attribute your adaptability?

Many thanks again, esp. your commitment to music!

Eric

Goy77 likes this.
  4. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I thought to let you all know that I have to leave at 5:30. We can wind up things around then. Cool?

5. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Off to "GIG_LAND" for me pretty soon...Thanks for being here today Jeff!

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    It's been a treat having you here today... This was very cool!!! Thank you!

7. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    Thoughts on playing along to songs on radio ,CD, MP3 or whatever?
    What do you think of Billy Sheehan?

8. Mr Berlin,...hello and good afternoon,...just wanted to say,.. I saw you years ago with Bruford, on the Tornado tour I believe it was, and your performance still stands out to this day as one of the most impressive examples of bass playing I have witnessed live and in person. There was only a very small crowd at the Boomer Theater in Norman Ok for the show,...all musicians I believe,...and I believe it may be the only show where afterwards, everyone there seemed to be completely in awe. Not ONE smartass, "I could play that better" remark was to be found...lol....hat's off to you on your playing and work,...as far as your personal views,...hell, we've all got 'em, and none matter anymore than the next guys IMHO,.....in the end, we're all just players trying to get better and enjoying our craft. Hat's off to you and hope I get a chance to catch you live again someday.

Goy77 likes this.
  9. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    It certainly wasn't planned that I went so crazy over the sound of their amps. In a nutshell, I have been offered an endorsement with almost every major amp company there is. I tried out most of their gear over the years. The amps were great, all of them. Except for one little thing. I just couldn't find an amp with the tone that I needed , the tone that would inspire me to play better.

When I recieved that first Markbass amp, I had the idea that this was going to be no different than anything else I played through. Still, I gave it a shot and within 60 seconds of trying out that first combo, I was on the email to Marco Devirgiliis asking him if I could be his bass endorser. These amps changed my musical life.

Goy77 likes this.
  10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I just wanted to thank you for your time here today and all the answers you've given :)

11. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Adaptability comes from experience. You have to learn how to adapt in different playing siutuation.

Goy77 likes this.
  12. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    He is the best rock bass player in the world.

Goy77 likes this.
  13. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Many thanks for your nice comments. I loved that band and all that it has brought to me. I am so grateful for the experience to play with those guys.

Goy77 likes this.
  14. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    It is my pleasure and I thank you as well.

15. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    This was great., I loved every second.

16. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    thank you jeff

17. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I hope this has changed your perception on how you are viewed on TalkBass!

Goy77 likes this.
  18. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Hi Jeff,

Philosophically, I've come to the point in my life that I realize that in the end, we all end up in the same place regardless of one's talent, wealth, etc.

Knowing this has freed me from many of the mental entanglements that we accumulate as we grow and has allowed me to bring a more joyful mental state to my life allowing me to experience certain things differently (better?) than in the past.

Since you have such a strong love for music, I was wondering, is suffering for your art a prerequisite to becoming a great musician and is it a learned behavior that actually may be hindering your musical development?

Goy77 likes this.
  19. KwinS

KwinS

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Jeff, thanks for taking the time to drop in, whatever the reason. Honestly, even though I've heard a lot of your work, I had no idea what you were like, except from what I had read about you on this site in the past. It is my opinion that you are a class act.

With a few exceptions, this thread has had more common sense and information than any I have read in quite a while. Sometimes, folks don't want to know about their deficiencies. I know I'm often that way myself.

Thanks again.

Goy77 likes this.
  20. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    To add I met you as well at the Boston BX3 show. You signed my guitar strap. Killer show!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.