Hi from Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JeffBerlin, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    It is an obligation that comes when you endorse a product. But the Jeff Berlin bass is far and away the best bass guitar I ever played. So sticking to this instrument is only a pleasure for me, not a hindrance in any way.

Goy77 likes this.
  2. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    For me, questions about what material to practice are the hardest questions to answer. I could recommend something too hard, too easy. I just don't have a clue as to your particular skills to learn or play. For this reason, I rarely recommend material, but will suggest that you find a teacher who only teaches music, not licks, not chops, just music. If you locate this teacher, they can give you exactly what you need right away.

3. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    It must be quite cold in Glasgow at this time. Keep warm.

4. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Jeff -

Welcome aboard. I'm a big fan and I hope you'll be back often. I have to tell you I appreciate the sense of humor in many of your song titles on the last CDs.

Couple of questions:

Bx3? How about another tour? At least a CD from the last one? Any news there?

Also - I really like your video of the Star Spangled Banner on your site. Any chance you'll record that or post an MP3?

Goy77 likes this.
  5. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Jeff, I think you are right, lessons are the way to go. The last year or so I've been in a rut and have always just taught myself. I've picked up a lot of good things on the way, but I'm sure a lot of bad. You emphasizing to get lessons "SOMEPLACE where the focus of improvement is out of your hands and in the hands of someone more qualified than you are" has given me the push I needed and made me realize that I've hit the point that I can no longer teach myself.

I must say thanks for coming on here whatever the initial reason was. Because of this I am going to take a new musical stride.

You get a thumbs up in my book!

Goy77 likes this.
  6. I'll take that as a no then! Oh well, back to burning Steve Bailey tab sheets for a heat source.

7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Hello Mr Berlin! Great to get your insights here! I take exception to you saying that you are not an entertainer. I saw you with BX3 in Boston and you definitely did entertain! You were very gracious to sign autographs afterward and I keep my ticket stub from that show in my wallet as an inspiration for me to be the best bass player I can be.

Goy77 likes this.
  8. Fnord Explorer

Fnord Explorer

Feb 3, 2008
    Nibiru
    If only I hadn't moved from Florida to frigid Omaha!

Regardless, I've considered taking drum lessons now that I have started applying myself to them beyond a hobbyist level. Maybe it would be a good time to deconstruct ALL my musical approaches at the same time.

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Tour for the new CD?

10. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Hello Jeff, Thanks for the visit. With so many talented musicians coming out of the tri-state area, I was wondering if you could recommend a school that may offer a part-time night program? Also, according to wikipedia you're originally from queens? Cool............what part?

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    jeff i asked you a question, but a moderator must have deleted it. I was just curious as to how you found out about it. I didnt expect such a popular musician to bother worrying about what people say about him on an internet forum.

"I understand that some on Talkbass have a problem with what I say (or how I say it)"

12. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Steve and I debated learning principles and can be seen on Bass Player TV. Our differences stem from our fundamental separation on the idea where Steve thinks that you can learn from anything and that learning is a broad principle. I am from the opposite belief thinking that learning is a narrow pursuit and that it is ART that is infinite with possibilities.

I just have not heard from anybody any principle of academic learning that was effective if it is didn't include as its core, music! This is why I comment about certain schools, camps, intensive programs, or artist DVD's as totally ineffective as learning events if music is not the center of these lesson principles. I view today's general approach to learning music as more entertainment and a sort of "Kumbaya" love-in even while players like FNORD EXPLORER write in this forum to lament at least somewhat that their present situation in playing could have been different if they had actually learned how to play in a different way.

Goy77 likes this.
  13. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    THATSSSSS ENTERTAINNNNMENNNNNTTTTT

Seriously, I am glad you enjoyed the Bx3 shows.

Goy77 likes this.
  14. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Love to. I am actually looking into this.

15. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I wish I could, but I am just not up on what is happening in your area anymore. Apoligies!

Oh, I almost forgot. I was born in Rar Rockaway, moved to Flushing, then to West Hempstead, and finally to Great Neck.

16. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Hi Jeff---I have learned some real tips from you over the years, both practical and philosophically regarding our common love of music and bass. Thank you.

I saw you love distortion (properly applied). Yes, I'll take the plunge and invite you to hear what I do with crunch/distortion in my own bass songs at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=778644&content=music

Of course, no sweat if you don't get over to it as you're busy and probably swamped, and I don't want to seem presumptive.
    In any event, a big thanks for being with us. It is appreciated by every member here I am sure.

Goy77 likes this.
  17. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    This is most kind of you and the other guys and I thank you very much.

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The first time I saw you was with Bruford in 1980.
    At least twice, you walked back to your amp and grabbed a pick that was sitting on top of it, to use for a bit, and then walked back and set it back down on top of the amp. I distinctly remember this. Have I jogged your memory, do you remember using that pick back then? I'm not trying to 'bust yer balls' or anything, just reminding you of something that you may have forgotten.

I really enjoyed your performance that night, and have been a big fan ever since. I met you on a couple of occasions since then. One was in 1983 at Fitzgerald's in Houston the night of Hurricane Alicia when you were playing with Alan Holdsworth (along with the Steve Morse Band), and the second time was at a clinic you did at Mars Music.

It's great to see you here on TalkBass, and please do come back to Houston and play for us again sometime.

Goy77 likes this.
  19. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008

I hope so. Looking forward to it.

20. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009

I don't remember the incident with a pick, but it certainly must have happened.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.