1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High Action Club

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stickk, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    For all of your TB'ers that like your strings sky-high! Post and I'll assign you a number. I'm # Pi, so there's still room for #1. Personally I've always loved high action because I started out playing double bass (still do).

Stickk - Pi (founder)
    Phalex - 2
    Sundogue - 137.5

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    What constitutes high? Is there a figure we have to meet to qualify? I like a bass with thick stiff strings that don't just lay on the top of the frets. The guys around here that like to slap, hate to sit in on my bass. In their defense, I hate their set ups too, with their flat necks, uber low action and skinny little strings.

So, I don't know if I qualify as a high action guy, but I certainly am not a low action guy.

Do I qualify for a number, or do you require more clarification?

3. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Sure, why not. What number do you want?

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I don't like the strings so high off the neck that I could fit another bass neck under the strings, but I don't like them lying right on the neck either.

I play way too heavy to have extreme low action.

But yeah...how high is high? I probably have a gap of 1/8"-3/16" or more between the fret and the strings at the 12th fret.

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You have high-action when all your friends complain about it.
    This should be on "technique" shouldn't it?

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'll take #2 for the obvious reasons........:bag:

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Probably more fitting in Setup and Repair? Or...since it's the "High Action Club" perhaps Off Topic?

8. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Sure, you can join, what number do you want? Personally I can almost stick my fingers in between the fretboard and the strings on my basses.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I want No. 137.5

I had a bass like that once. I got rid of it because no amount of truss rod adjustment helped. ;)

Personally I don't mind even really high action...though mine is usually lower. I don't know how anybody plays with strings lying right on the neck. I don't even play guitars with action that low.

10. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    You are now officially # 137.5.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Cool. It will make me look like I was late to the party. ;)

12. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Yes, I would imagine some minimum measurement is needed to join?

13. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    What's your measurement?

14. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    I had setups varying from 1/12" to around 3/16" and played successfully, but 1/8 seems to be the most comfy action (since I don't slap and like to dig in)
    I also prefer stiff strings
    Do I qualify?

15. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Sure, why not! What number do you want?

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yikes, that would count as high :eek: I keep mine medium, so I can't belong to the club :meh:

If you follow the guidelines laid out at Fender you will get a good medium action. I would argue you need at least 1/8" action for it to be considered high.

17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You have a ruler that measures in 12ths? Is it used for some special purpose? I am just curious. Most rulers that I have seen use powers of two.

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I suppose anyone who appreciates the Plek probably doesn't qualify ; } ...it's nice if one has high action because they choose, rather than it keeps the bass from making bad noises in some areas of the neck.

19. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    My guess would be one of those 6-sided metric rulers, they have TONS of measurements.

20. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    As for measuring - I just converted millimetres into inches (I'm from Europe)
    As for Plek - In my experience one can have unpleasant sound while playing rounds even with high action as rounds tend not to forgive poor fretwork (and especially problems with nut slots).
    As for number - I take #13