1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High Mass bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Hey guys/gals:

I am SERIOUSLY considering a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz bass. Just wanted to know if a Fender High Mass bridge will fit (exactly) if I replace the stock bridge. I know it’s a 5 hole mount. Has anyone done this. Thanks a ton!

2. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    I installed a Fender Badass copy to my Squire with no mods, hols lined up perfectly.

saabfender likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Put this on mine...only way to go, imo.
    Not very handy with tools, but this was a fairly easy mod.
    2ztgay9.

4. Thanks for the response, jd56...

Did you also change the volume/tone plate to black? Never saw a Squier VM with that. They come with a stock chrome one. Thanks again!

5. Would you be so kind as to offer a link to where I can check one of those out? Thank you!

6. Bahjark

Bahjark

May 30, 2018
  7. Thanks Bahjark. Will this fit a Squier VM 70s J bass without any mods? Thanks again!

8. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    The 5 hole mounting is the same on a Squier VM as it is on a Squier CV. The High Mass Bridge will fit either just as Babicz FCH Bridges like jd56hawk used will also fit and any other designed to install with a 5 hole mount.

Here are the Babicz Bridges on my two CVs

00707_9ykT8wBEzb_1200x900. mattfreeman.

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. Bahjark

Bahjark

May 30, 2018
    It should. It's designed to be a replacement for Fenders.

10. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    4 String KickAss™ Bass Bridge
    BD9B0D9F-2E8D-4DC3-A423-69F19A7E5103.

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, it's a black steel control plate for a different look to match the bridge.
    And, of course, the Babicz bridge design is revoluntionary.
    If my G&L L2000 and my Reverend Thundergun didn't already have high-mass bridges, I definitely would've modded them, too.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 7:20 AM
    soulman969 likes this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    FWIW Kipp the High Mass Bridge used on some Squier Basses isn't all that much of an improvement over a standard bridge. Both share the same basic issue in their design and more mass doesn't overcome that.

That issue is with how the saddles contact the base plate and transfer string energy to the body. In both cases the main contact between the string, saddle, and bass plate are the two adjustment screws on the top of each saddle.

When you look at other designs such as the Babicz FCH Bridge you see how the entire saddle is in contact with the base plate and a cam system is used to raise and lower string height then both cam and saddle are locked in place.

It's this increase on contact area between the saddle, base plate, and body and it's inability to shift while playing that can add clarity and sustain to each note not the mass. An FCH Bridge is quite light and weighs just 3.7 ozs.

Of course you should use whichever bridge you prefer but I though this might be worth mentioning. The standard and high mass bridges are fine and have been used on Fender Basses for a very long time but if you're truly seeking an improvement in tonality and sustain you might want to look into the others mentioned here.

Bahjark likes this.
  13. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018

soulman969 likes this.
  14. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    Babicz bridges are great bridges and I have one on my ESP.

I recently installed a Hipshot Kickass on my Squire VM bass and for $65 less than the Babicz bridge, you get this kickass Hipshot which is a direct bolt on for the squire. They have them for five strings too. Check out both videos I posted.

soulman969 and jmg3644 like this.
  15. Bahjark

Bahjark

May 30, 2018
    Exactly! The Fender design with its two little screws as points of contact allows the saddle to move when a note is played. That movement equals loss of energy and loss of tone.
    I put the KSM on one of my Peavey Foundations and the increase in volume and tone is noticeable. Almost like going from passive to active, YMMV.
    IMO you'll not be able to hear any difference between the more expensive (KSM) and more affordable (Hotshot). What's important is that the saddles have good contact with the bridge and that they're locked in so they can't "dance around" like the Fender design.

I went with the KSM because it looks cool and I like the simple and elegant design.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 3:26 PM
  16. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    Yep. Jeff Babicz isn't the only one to have built a "better mousetrap". There's a selection of improved bridge concepts out there and some are certainly worth looking into if someone plans to replace the bridge on a Fender or Fender type bass.

Bahjark likes this.