Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

higher frets go sharp?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gandhirrea, Aug 31, 2005.

1. So, I put a BAII brindge on; filed the sucker myself. Finally got it sounding quite nice (much better that the stock fender bridge, btw this is a MIM Fender P bass). BUT, when all my strings are in tune, as i go up the fret board, the notes become sharper and sharper. ***? What did i do wrong? Please, I am about to cut myself soon.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Woah well um..Calm down there turbo. Your bass is out of tune with its self. bring it into a music shop and ask them to set it up for you. No biggie.

3. meh, so far away... so much gas.... where's the razor?
    Kidding aside, that was the answer I didn't want. But, Geddy knows best.

4. Alas, he is not the real Geddy Lee. That would be so cool!

Anyway, your bass has a problem with its intonation. If you search for "intonation" you should find plenty of threads with tips on how to fix it and links to very detailed explanations. It is not a serious problem; your bass will be fine.

5. yeah, right before you posted i searched and found that Gary Willis site. No trip to the shop necesary. Thanks for the tips, I owe you guys my life.