1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Higher strings - Low Volume

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Pierced Soul, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Pierced Soul

Pierced Soul

Aug 29, 2006
    I have a BC Rich 4 string Beast. the two higher strings ahve a low volume which is very noticeable when played enxt to the low strings. Is this normal? I thought that there should be a reasonably even volume across all strings. I tried lowering the action on the higher strings and increaisng the action on the bottom strings (no idea if I should do this) and it's made a small difference but not a lot.

I'm playing it through a Mesa Boogie Scout walkabout combo and have had the same prob previously with a crappier amp. I've tried changing the battery with no difference.

Is this normal or does anyone have some idea what i can try to even up the string volumes?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's more of a function of the pickup. Check and make sure your pickup is the same distance away from the higher strings as it is the lower strings.

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    both string height and pickup height play a role in output.
    try adjusting the pickup higher on the D and G string side and lower it for the E and A strings.

you don't want the strings too close to the pickup..it may cause magnetic string pull or the string may hit the pickup while playing causing an ugly clicking sound.

do these adjustment with the bass plugged into your amp while plucking the strings..checking for equal output across all 4.
    If this is a multi pickup instrument, do the same for each pickup separately.

good luck!

4. Pierced Soul

Pierced Soul

Aug 29, 2006
    with adjusting pickups, is this just a matter of scrwing the screws attacthing the pickup to raise/lower it, or is there somethinge sle that eneds to be done?

5. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Nope, just grab a screw driver and turn to raise/lower.

6. If you look at most factory setups you'll notice that the lower strings are distanced greater from the pickup than the higher ones, the mass of metal in the low strings translates into more output.

7. I'm not sure if your "beast" has the 2 sets of split-coil (P-bass type) pickups as I've seen in a couple of pictures, but if it does, it should make adjusting the string output a bit easier than most soapbar pickups.
    You'll notice that each of those split p'ups cover two strings. This gives you the chance to adjust the output of your two higher strings individually. So, if you raise that pup evenly, then find that your 2nd string is louder than your 1st string, you can lower the pup at the 2nd, and raise it at the 1st to balance things out a bit better.
    Most of these pups have a chunk of foam under them that acts as a "spring". If you start to loosen the pup screw to raise it, and find that it doesn't seem to want to come up (gets loose and wobbly), then you might actually have to pull that pickup and place a thicker piece of foam or something under it to get it higher.
    Remember, you might actually have to experiment with lowering the pup at the 3rd/4th string to balance output. Don't raise the high string pup too close to the strings.
    Depending upon how you run the blend between pickups, it's been my experience that the neck pup position seems to bring out the higher notes and make them sound fuller, while raising the pup at the bridge position tends to make them sound brighter (and thinner)...

Experiment with your EQ settings as well. Midrange tends to really bring out the higher strings/notes, as bass tends to bring out the low notes, making them sound much louder.

Mag...

8. how do you set the eq on your amp?