1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hip-Hop likeres?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I enjoy my hip-hop, mostly old school fun rap. I'd say there is a difference, old school rap is like Tupac, and old school fun rap (really can't think of a better name for it) is like Beastie Boys and RUN-DMC. I'm not saying I hate any other type of rap, but that is my favorite. My friends are trying to get me into other rap, they loaded 2 mix tapes of rap they like on to my mp3 player. There are a few others I've come to like. Such as Kid Cudi, Lupe Fiasco, Jay-Z and Eminem. They really like people like Birdman, Drake and Lil' Wayne. I like a few of their songs but I feel they don't represent what I stand for (isn't that what rap is about?). Birdman talks too much about being rich and is a bit flashy, Lil' Wayne talks about a lot of women (which doesn't really interest me), and Drake is like the Justin Bieber (spelling) of rap/hip hop. I do like some of their songs like "Forever" that has Eminem, Drake, Lil' Wayne and Kayne West. I don't know all the lyrics but I won't skip over it when it plays, And "money to blow" is pretty good too.

For you who are like "***? Eminem!? :eek:", I really respect the man. He raps the truth, and I can relate to most of the stuff he says. Especially when he talks about (in "real slim shady") people being suprised he can rap so good when he's white. Thats how a lot of people react when they see me play basketball (lol like Lary Bird). He grew up pretty poor as I did (against contrary belief), and many things he struggled with growing up with I also struggled with. He is very respectable once you actually listen to how deep his words are.

I also respect Lil' Wayne as a person and bidness man (lol). I really didn't until I read the article on him going to jail (for having a gun that wasn't even his) in the Rolling stone mag, if you hate him, read this, you will really respect him afterwards.

Thats all I have to say really and I find it wierd that I take this so deep, when I rarely listen to rap. I'm mostly into funk and punk. But I guess I just take all music deep, I could just prolly write 2x as much just on the Ramones.

So if you made it through all of that without dying or falling asleep... how many TBers like hip hop/rap?

2. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I'm into a lot of oldschool and underground hip hop. Been getting into a lot of underground west coast stuff lately like Hieroglyphics.

3. Zero, NONE, Nada. Can't stand it. Never have.

I could handle some Run DMC or Beasties but beyond that :spit:

Sorry :bag:

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    No duobt... Run and beasties are the baest! Infact I'm listining to "It's tricky"

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I love rap for one reason : The way they mix the bass and everything else. . Its mixed in such a way as to go right through you this to me its a true art. Second there is the lyrics, curse away but say something. I have the CD Young Money Lil Wayne, when I hear it cleaned up for the radio, I change the station. Old school is old just like the old Pink floyd or Rolling Stones songs. Stuff must be current(with todays frame of references ) and rap is no execption.....................................:cool:

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I killz police all day and deals drugs all night.......... :rollno:

7. Until a few weeks ago I basically hated all rap. But then I discovered Aesop Rock...

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Took 6 posts for the bashing to start.
    Real intelligent comment by the way.

9. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Tongues

Can you at least do a LITTLE bit of research before you make such generalized statements? :rollno:

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a bit of a fan of old-school hip hop, but most modern stuff is questionable at best.

Starting with people like Redman and DMX, among others, the discussion of objectifying women and violence is rather disturbing. There are a few here and there that I enjoy.

Lately? I've been listening to a bunch of Common.

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
  12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Rap isn't all like that. Even when rap was pushing the envelople... it wasn't ever like that. Ever Tupac had some intelegence in his work

13. And slap a ho when she needs it :hyper:

14. :eyebrow: :confused:

My imagination must have run wild :eek:

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bob Marley was singing about shooting cops and taking drugs long before any rapper did. I'm guessing you'll be popping into all the reggae threads now....

Rock and roll is soulless devil music! I heard some rock songs that promote drugs or satan or sex so they must all be like that! Rabblerabblerabble!

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Hiero is underground?

Also, check out living legends if you like hiero...

Murs, eligh, grouch, and others... Good stuff...

17. Pointing out other bad behaviour doesn't make it right.

18. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    *Puts on some metal*

*Turns metal off*

*Goes out and snorts coke off a devil worshipping whore's firm buttocks*

19. Hip-hop and rap are two different things. I like both. It depends what kind of mood I'm in.

I just bought two turntables for my DJ career... so yeah... :p

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    May i respectfully asked if you actually listened to any hip hop, or bits and peaces you hear on the radio and what news have to say about it?

I don't think "I shot the sheriff" actually promotes shooting police. Just like much of the Rap lyrics (rap with actual lyrics that is) does not promote violence, but tells the story about something.

You pointing out some aspects of hip hop and rap by choosing bad artist or and songs with bad lyrics and saying "look how bad this is, hip hop sucks" is like me choosing to talk about how bad Nickelback is and say that all "rock" sucks because Nickelback sucks. I think that was the point about Bob Marley, not that he is bad or song "I shot the sheriff" is a negative song.

For example, see link posted by me above and tell me it's negative.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020