1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot brass bass bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Precision101, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I was looking into getting this. Is Hipshot stuff high quality or no? Any of you guys own one of these. Thanks.

2. I own one brass and one aluminum. Nice tone high quality. The brass is hefty.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    No buzz? That's the problem with the generic fender one on my p bass.

4. Replaced the stock bridge on my Epiphone Allen Woody with a Hipshot Super Tone. An improvement in every. single. respect.

5. Make absolutely certain it's the bridge. I've thought that was happening and changed bridges to then discover that it was actually a pickguard screw that was just a little loose.

6. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    It's definitely the bridge. The saddles have a "chattering" noise. How do you adjust intonation on this bridge?

7. Post a pic of the bridge from the heel of the bass looking toward the neck.

8. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    I have a brass one...I like it alot. All the adjustment options were a little confusing at first, IIRC..warning: it will noticeably brighten the tone up. I also have Seymore Duncan SPB 2's in that bass which are heavy on the mids and lows, and I put a big cap on the tone pot that can cut alot of highs. The end result was a very versatile P bass.
    But alot of folks are anti big bridge on a P Bass because it does affect the tone.
    You'll have to try it to see if it works for you personally.

9. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
  10. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I was thinking about putting some basslines in as well.

11. Those screws are how the intonation is adjusted.

12. Nice lookin bass.

13. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Oh yeah I know that! But is it the same way for the Hipshot is what I'm asking. And thanks. I play it upside down.

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

First, your strings should follow neck arc. Nothing to do with your problem, just a note.

Second I don't see a witness point on the E string. Witness your strings.

Third, I don't see intonation: all saddles are at the same length. The E and A springs are usually shorter and if they aren't compressed by intonation length enough they can rattle.

15. I have a hipshot a. And yep same way.

16. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Awesome. I just want to upgrade stuff on it so I don't have these problems anymore. I'm getting a whole new fretboard.

17. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I noticed a whole ago that the a and e are a little bit shorter than the d and g on intonation. My uncle fixed it up for me and he noticed the
    Saddles kept moving around.

18. On the screws. Just a little.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

So you are saying that he made all saddles the same length like that ?

That's not right. Should look like this, as set with a tuner:

G
    D
    A
    E

Of course not as deep an angle as illustrated but in general intonation will look like that. Yours look straight across. WRONG.

20. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    No this was taken before I got it fixed. The intonation now is great.