1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hobby Builder Discussion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grygrx, Apr 6, 2009.

1. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    For discussion about Hobby building.

For more details please read the
    Hobby Builder Bazaar sticky.

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Let me see if I understand this right. The sticky is for hobbyist builders to post in to advertise their products, they can only post once but can update that post as they go along.

All discussion related to the Hobby Builder Bazaar goes on THIS thread, where anyone can post and we can post more than once, right?

3. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Yep. That pretty much frames it.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Cool. Hope to see RCubed and Speak Onion on there soon with their noisemaking projects!

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    To clarify: If you have a post in the sticky, and you're obeying the rules laid out in there then you're exempt from the CUP?

6. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I would hate to say 'exempt from the cup'. I will say, it is a grey area in the CUP for which the sticky is making room for, but yes... the rules must be followed.

7. awesome, great idea gryg!

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Exemption from the CUP is the wrong phrase to use, it's more of a modification covering FX only for the moment. This is an experiment to try and accommodate the small hobbyist builder, where they couldn't discuss their wares before.

As grygrx says, this program is on a trial basis and repeated abuse will result in it's termination.

9. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Good to see this thread on here. A big thanks to David and grygrx for getting the ball rolling.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This seems like an excellent idea to me. Kudos.

11. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    rcubed- That was your single solitary post? You blew it! :p

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's projects. A friend of mine is graduating as an electrical engineer and expressed interest in building a couple pedals, so I've been brainstorming trying to come up with a good project for us to build (something I can't go to the store and buy, and something I want to use!), so I may have something to contribute in the near future myself (after I delete this post of course).

What is this 'CUP' you speak of? I looked around the site and couldn't find any other references to it.

12. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Commercial User Policy

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    = commercial user policy. It's a policy that applies to all people who make and sell things that use TB to try and keep it as impartial and consumer driven as possible.

It's basically to stop big manufacturers signing up and plugging their products.

14. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Here is a link to above mentioned 'CUP'

15. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There's a special section on luthiers/builders for instruments so I think it's only fair that there is something similar for effects builders.

16. Brilliant idea. If this works well and hangs around Grygrx will become something of a mythological bass effects champion. Between this and bassfuzz.

17. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Thanks grygrx.

Now what can you do about cleaning up the front page of "HOW DO I GET MUSE TONE?!!!11" threads? ;)

18. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    What about hobby builders who don't sell their effects but teach you, step-by-step, how to build a pedal?

19. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    Just coming up for air. Been working on this li'l monster for a bit.

Picture144.

It's a Muff based fuzz w/selectable socketed diodes (including a diode bypass in the 1st clipping stage ala Supa Tonebender) and socketed trannies, and trimpots for biasing resistors. I still gotta wire up all the pots, jacks, and switches. It's been nothing short of a schizophrenic nightmare so far. It's got trimpots for tonestack resistors and dual hi-pass and low-pass caps for inverting values in the tonestack w/a dual concentric knob (think dual mids knob ala Supercollider) as well as a depth knob (ala Supercollider), a gate mod, and a stompswitch bypass for the final transistor stage (ala Jumbo Tonebender). I also switched out the coupling resistor in the clipping stages w/a dual ganged 10K pot to put as much of an edge and note definition on the fuzz as I want/need given any situation.

I loaded it to the gills w/Mullard Tropical fish for coupling/diode caps, Mustard caps for the tonestack, and a combination of Sprague axial tantalums and a Mustard cap for the input/output caps.

Like I said, I've still got 7 pots to wire up (including 1 dual ganged and 1 dual concentric pot) plus the jacks, switches, and power supply... but for now I think I need some Excedrin and some therapy.

20. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the final deal.