Hofner 63 relic is not sounding good after setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ferrante9, Jan 2, 2022.

1. ferrante9

ferrante9

May 27, 2012
    I have had this Hofner 63 relic for over a year , and it was playing great , vintage woody sound just like I wanted .

but the time came to have a set up . Wanted to change new strings , install Scheller strap lock , and have my frets leveled up.

now I wish I didn’t , the bass doesn’t the same at all. Is it because of the new pyramid set of strings ?!!? They sound too metallic , they feel weird , the vintage woody tone is gone ?!?!! Is the moral of the story that if your are happy with how your bass is playing , don’t mess it up with a set up ?!?! Or the problem is just that I gotta wait for the strings to break in ?!!? If so, how long ?!? How come new factory Hofner basses , the strings are already broken in ?!!?! Please advise

thanks

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Hard to answer your question(s) without before and after audio clips. Just give it awhile and see if the tone of the strings mellow out. If they don’t, then try some different strings. Simple, right?

3. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Get a bucket of fried chicken and have an eat and play session… I’m only half joking.

Winoman, Aqualung60, DirtDog and 2 others like this.
  4. dogbrained

dogbrained

Jun 16, 2007
    My thought is, it's the new strings. I only change my strings when it's absolutely necessary. Give them some time.

5. zzzzzz

zzzzzz

Feb 1, 2016
    there’s a chance the setup is not great, in that the action (string-to-string, and string-to-neck radius height) is off.. or at least may not what you’re used to. as far as the sound, what i do when flats are too bright and weird like that is lightly coat the strings with vaseline. seems odd but totally works to shorten the break-in time.

6. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Salmonella is the source of Sir Paul's tone? That's a new one!

J_Bass and aus_bass like this.
  7. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Not sure how you’d get salmonella from cooked fried chicken, bud.

Aqualung60 and InnerCityBass like this.
  8. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I was suggesting a way to take the zing out of new strings by getting grease on them quickly, which in part was a joke.

SJLee and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    But according to Anthony Jackson, that is exactly what Philadelphia session bassist Ronnie Baker did. Slather lard on the strings of his back-up bass.

tvbop, s van order and mellobud like this.
  10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If you don't maintain 140 degrees, it happens.

Aqualung60, kobass and SirMjac28 like this.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Sounds like strings to me it shouldn't take long to break them in depending on how often you play. You may have to adjust the tone controls on your amp until your strings break in.

Iristone and Fretless55 like this.
  12. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Maybe the tech adjusted/changed the pickup height?

SJLee, CryingBass, bassfuser and 3 others like this.
  13. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    That's new roundwound strings for you. That brightness will fade and the woodiness will come. If you can't wait, get some flats.

rockdoc11 and M.R. Ogle like this.
  14. sharpiemarker

sharpiemarker

Feb 15, 2013
    Montreal
    I put pyramid flats on a hofner to replace the stock round wounds. It really changed the feeling and sound. I didn’t bond well the the pyramids. But give it some time

15. ferrante9

ferrante9

May 27, 2012

Pyramids come stock with the 63 relic Germans . They were 3 years olds , so I wanted a new fresh set of pyramids to replace the old one . They don’t sound and feel anything like the old set , except for the E string .

the tech also had the bridge flipped upside down , when I took it home it wasn’t sounding like a Hofner , took it back to have him flip it back …… but the strings still sound too metallic .

dkelley likes this.
  16. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    All new Hofner/Pyramid flats have a dead E and noticeably bright A-D-G's. They'll settle in and even out. Just keep playing it and don't wipe the strings down.

SJLee, Pimpernel Smith and bobyoung53 like this.
  17. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Yes, but he did that so he could put the bass in a closet for a year or so while the strings naturally conditioned themselves so they wouldn't rust. There was a story in BP magazine years about that right after he died, I don't think it was grease like that though, it would have gotten pretty rancid after about a week.:laugh:

18. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    You are remembering the same BP story I am, only I suspect you are more correct on the details.

BassmanM and bobyoung53 like this.
  19. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    F9, what strings were on it prior to the new ones ?

20. Give it a month of playing. Pyramid Gold Flats are the same as the original equipment flats on that instrument. Once they are broken in, they are good for many years.

Listen to FranF, he knows of what he speaks. He's got more Hofner basses any anybody.

FranF likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022