Hofner Bass - Wich different styles ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Laudou, May 5, 2012.

1. Laudou

Laudou

Mar 25, 2012
    Hi,

I'm looking for a Hofner Ignition... but I never tryed one.

I'd like to know if I can set some trembly sounds for playing progressive rock...

I know that they use more Jazz or Rick basses, but I don't wanna copy their sound, I just want to be near,and set a personnal sound with that bass.

So, is that bass a bit trembly ?

Thank you,
    Laudou

2. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    I think you can play any style with any bass. If you like the sound of Hofners, go for it.

3. You can get all the treble you want from the Hofner! I have to keep my bridge pickup almost all the way off to keep it from being too bright all the time!

4. I use a Hofner Contemporyr but here's my input. There's a hell of a lot of treble on the bridge pickup. Its almost unusable to me.

5. Laudou

Laudou

Mar 25, 2012
    Mmmn I see. Thank you for the answers ! Wich amp should I use ?

6. It will sound good in almost any amp. I have a '65 fender bassman, SWR Workingman 15, Behringer BXL 900. They all work great. The pickups are super hot.

7. Laudou

Laudou

Mar 25, 2012
    What about Ampegs ? I'v seen a 25w one.

8. I haven't seen the small one. Just about anything Ampeg would most likely be acceptable. 25 watts may be a problem if you are going to play with others. I would error towards too big rather than too small. You can do a lot with 50 to 100 watts, including playing quietly.

9. I would say 300W+ because it's a nice number and roughly twice as loud as a 30W amp which the guitarist might be using. But since you're playing bass the difference will be less and it will all be nice and everyone will be happy.

10. Laudou

Laudou

Mar 25, 2012
    Ok ! I'll see for better amp ! So I'm goong to buy a Hofner Bass.

11. Good luck finding one.

12. Laudou

Laudou

Mar 25, 2012
    And what about Epiphone Viola ? I there a big sound difference ? Wich is better ?

13. I have two Rogues, which is, think, made by the same factory. The rogue is more like the Hofner in head stock shape, control layout, and I've been very happy with them. But, for a few dollars more, you can get the Hofner, and I believe it sounds better. The neck is thinner, the pickups are hot and they look great!

14. Do you have Guitar Center in France? If you don't, you can see the Rogue VB100 at musiciansfriend.com. They are the same company.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021