1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner Bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iamandrew248, Jan 19, 2012.

1. iamandrew248

iamandrew248

Nov 6, 2011
    I have a hofner icon and I just took off the strings for the first time and the bridge came off and so did the nut. I know the nut should be glued on but is the bridge supposed to be glue or just sitting on the bass?

2. ahsbass6

ahsbass6

Apr 13, 2004
    It does not appear right that the bridge should come off, though it is made in China. There is a company in the US that handles this bass called North Shore Music. Try to give them a call. Violin, viola , cello and double bass bridges will come off, if you remove all of the strings at once but on any electric bass, the bridge is attached to the body. Good luck..

3. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    Incorrect info! The bridges on hollow body Hofner basses are made to rest on the body so it can be moved forward/backward to intonate the bass, etc. But, yes the nut should have been glued to the neck. Also, only remove and replace one string at a time. There is tension created by the trussrod in the neck to counter the strings' tension.

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Floating bridge, not anchored down. Falls off if strings removed. Es normal. A bit alarming if you're not expecting it.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    just like on just about all hollow archtops, it's just held in place by the string's downward pressure.

6. iamandrew248

iamandrew248

Nov 6, 2011
    Okay, very good to know. I almost had somebody sand down a part of the finish and glue it on. That would have been a bad wakeup call,

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    WRONG!!!! That's exactly what it's supposed to do.

What has that got to do with anything? The German made Hofners have always had a floating bridge and so have many other basses. Also Icon/Ignitions are currently made in Indonesia.

8. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    I'm getting a 500/1 Vintage 63. I found it VERY disturbing that Guitar Center lists the Icon model as "Non-returnable." My own experience is that the Icon and the German models sound virtually the same. I'm concerned about workmanship, period.

As to the bridge, that is useful information, as these basses were the great-grandaddy's of the modern "acoustic-electric" bass. Yes, I do know a player who super-glued his bridge in place-however terrible as this was, he glued it in a good place so although he feels like an ass, his bass is still OK.

These basses are highly specialized. This should be an addition, not a mainstay in your collection. If you plan on learning Beatle tunes and playing along with the records, get the Icon and be prepared for a LOT of tuning between songs as the Beatles did not have a standardized "A" to tune to. (Want to play "When I'm 64?"-get ready to learn it in D-flat, although I'm sure they thought they were playing in C.)

All the best, if you are playing in a tribute/cover band, go with the Germans....IMHO.

9. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I bet they did play it in C and varispeeded it up a bit as they liked the feel that way. They did lots of stuff like that. Read Emerick's book.

10. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Thanks-I will read it. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying they didn't know what they were doing, but these are considerations for us Paul wannabes.....

11. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    I'm using a Rogue for exactly that purpose (retrofitted Hofner tailpiece brings the string tension WAY down for the "Sir Paul" thump) and the sound is indistinguishable from the Hofner. I don't personally care for the feel, but the sound is what I'm after.

Prior to my current gig, I had the OEM tailpiece on it with roundwounds and it was my main bass for rock, blues & jazz. I find it quite versatile depending on the FX in your loop. Personally, I favor a fair amount of compression for anything other than Beatles' stuff, but taste is a subjective thing anyway, isn't it?

Cheap knock-off? Maybe. But It's a hell of a lot sturdier than the Hofners I've played, I like the flamed top, a proper set-up and new mini-pots & switches have made a world of difference in the sound quality. Works for me.

12. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    Agreed! I have a Turser Violin bass with Fender flats ( that I haven't changed in years) Put on the front pick-up and you become Sir-Paul without having to plunk down 2k for a German Hofner