Home Schooling any thoughts???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jady, Sep 19, 2006.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Yep. Have for over 5 years now. If you want to talk about it PM me.

2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Don't consider why theyare bad. Keepo your kids out of a bad school period. I don't why the school is bad or how I can work around it. My kids are more important than that and I wouldn't subject them to that and HOPE to work around it.

That's like having faulty breaks on your car that could go out anytime. You don't ask why, you handle it. You don't work around it, you fix it to AVOID the problem.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Your list of three is a good start. The one big thing you are missing is that you and your wife need to evaluate YOUR own intelligence and ability to teach. Wanting to teach your child is easy. Being qualified to is different.

Here in Washington, my wife and I were both required to attend classes to prepare us for home schooling our son. It was a couple Saturdays that we went. We also voluntarily took tests on the subjects we would be teaching to make sure WE knew what we were doing.

I never assumed that my wife and I were more intelligent than the teachers in the public schools. To be honest, I am sure my biology and chemistry skills are laughable compared to those of an accredited teacher in those fields.

-Mike

4. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I was homeschooled. I turned out alright.

At least, that's what they tell me.....

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    For example it could be the water supply, a bit extreme but many factors contribute.

6. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    See, that's the kind of homeschooling I don't mind. The kind where the parents care enough to take classes so that they can teach their kid properly. I just can't stand how so many parents don't teach their kids a thing when they homeschool them.

7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know what you mean. Too many misguided parents just assume they can teach their kids. Let me tell you, this is hard work. Our son asks questions, and my wife and I have to answer them. Our sons future is in our hands much more so than if he was in a public school. I am comfortable with that responsibility laid upon me. I feel we have been doing a good job so far. Perfect? No. But our son does well on his tests and daily work. He exhibits a measure of maturity and intelligence equal to or even greater than many of his peers. I honestly feel that homeschooling has helped him mature more than if he was in a public school. He is learning and developing at a rate natural to him, not on a generic schedule generated by a computer.

My wife and I spoke with a few teachers before we decided to go for home schooling. I even was able to speak to some of the teachers I had when I was in school. That has greatly helped us.

-Mike

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I can't help but think that anyone who even considers home schooling their children either exhibits a certain amount of arrogance and/or fear.

Arrogance, because you (not "you" as in specifically targeted to the topic starter) assume that you will do at least as good a job as educated professionals. In the case of mending a broken car or dealing with a plumbing problem, you might just do that, but educating a child is an entirely different ballgame. If you don't realise that, you should not be a teacher.

Fear, because you might assume the world out there to be too dangerous and damaging to your kid, and are therefore willing to do whatever it takes to shield him/her from all lousy teachers, nasty kids, evil curricula and the general wickedness of society. I think BlacksHole more or less hit it bullseye in post #59 - how is protecting your own this way going to make the world a better place, in the long run? And when people say things like this, it really rubs me the wrong way:
    The risk is that we will end up with a even higher grade of polarisation in beliefs and an even greater lack of understanding and empathy, if we all are to "protect" and straight up project our own ideals and wishes onto our children. If fear is the reason, I might understand why, but I would not sympathise with your decision should you go through with it.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not really. Ask a plumber or auto mechanic how many completely incompetent do-it-yourself jobs they've had to fix. I'm sure both will share plenty of amusing horror stories. However, just as there are people who can do adequate plumbing or auto repair work at home, there are people who are capable of administering a proper education.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I perhaps worded that the wrong way. A car or a pipe is a dead thing that you can replace if you screw up. You don't have the same margin of error in dealing with people; they're irreplaceable and the effects of mishandling can be far more devastating.

11. True, but people shouldn't be afraid of homeschooling their kids, provided they are willing to:

a) put in the serious time and preparation required to do a good job for a pretty crucial task in their child's life

and

b) admit it and reverse their decision if they discover that they are in "over their head" so to speak. Don't put your pride ahead of what's best for your children.

12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I will respond from my point of view. Regarding arrogance, none on my part or from my wife. But this is where it gets technical for us. While I am not as intelligent as a professional biology teacher, I know my child better. For that reason, I am better able to teach my son and tailor the information to him. A teacher must deal with many students every day, so the curriculum will become somewhat vanilla. So while an educated professional teacher can teach the facts better than I can, I am clearly more qualified to cater to the needs of my child.

Fear? Not a chance. That did not factor into our decision one bit.

-Mike

13. Curry46

Curry46

May 21, 2006
    So, I happened to have had a discussion about homeschooling with my mom a bit ago...

Me: "I wouldn't ever want to do homeschooling, I love the opportunities that I get through public schools."
    Mom: "Well, those things aren't really necessary are they?"
    Me: "Well sure, but a lot of things in life aren't necessary. It doesn't mean they're not important."
    Mom: "But what virtues have you gained in your public schools?"
    Me: "Who knows. But at least I don't think I'm better than everyone else."
    Mom: "Well I guess your schooling's been worthless then"

:rolleyes:

So, you understand my bias...

14. steve21

steve21 Inactive

I consider my school pretty good, but it's got a LOT of bad/stupid/going nowhere kids.

But when my schedule consists of TA'ing for an AP (calculus) class, then going to my honors algebra 2 class (Yeah, I TA a class 2 years above me), then go to AP latin, then go to AP chem, then go to AP english, then go to AP US history... tell me public schools aren't as good for education.

My AP Latin teacher has taught latin for 25+ years, he learnt his Latin at UCLA, and he got his teaching entrance from the Head of the entire Humanties structure there. He's pushing 60, and he does more for his students than most teachers I've EVER met.

My AP chem teacher is dedicated as hell. She comes in early in the mornings, she stays during snake period, she stays for an hour or two after school, to make sure ALL her students ALWAYS have her available if they have a question.

My AP Am. Lit teacher is retired, but loved teaching the subject and was so good at it the school would have nobody else, and they brought her in on semi-retirement to teach the class.

My AP US history teacher knows US History, and teaches in a way to make it alive. He also writes editorials for the local newspaper, and he runs our debate club (Which I've been a part of for the past 3 years).

Public school is great. Choose the right classes. Make the right choices. When your parents care, it's very hard to not make the right choices.