1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hot Hand - my current setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gadgetjunky, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Here's a walk-thru on some most of the stuff I'm doing with my Hot Hands in my current setup and how I have them hooked up between my different pedals.

My Hot Hand setup

Please let me know what you are doing with yours and anything you like too see if you don't have a Hot Hand yet but are considering getting one, but might be concerned it may not do exactly what you want.

Hopefully this little video will show the versatility of this little gizmo and that it's not a one-trick-pony. There are many uses for the Hot Hand other than all the Dubstep stuff that is usually posted.

For me, the Hot Hands mean freedom. Unchained from the ties of traditional pedal boards and I plan on taking this even further and share all I find here.

ELynx likes this.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That really is genius and it is a crazy inventive device.

3. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I really need to take the time to mess with my HH3 and the Orbital Mod. I love how you use yours on the neck for the LFO speed.

4. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    After I watched it I thought I should have done some frequency sweep on the Orbital too. There's just so many possibilities!!

5. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Because I got the beta version, I don't have a manual. Once it hits stores, I will download it and start experimenting.

6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Manual is already up on the website.

7. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    I've been wanting to make a video like this for a while.

8. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    So many possibilities, like back in the day when DJs started stealing my pedals to run with turntables and 808s.

9. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Fantastic video. Thank you, GJ.

10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks Roger. It's not up to the production level that I would really like, but I kept putting this off because of the time needed to do it right. But looking around at some other videos made me realize that I shouldn't get too bogged down on production and just keep it simple to share what I'm doing with these things. When I was putting this rig together I had to search and sometimes just hope things would work like I thought they would and I was usually correct, but there's some serious $$ on that table that I know most people will not take changes with. So hopefully this has inspired more people to use these amazing gizmos in different ways. Hopefully even post their own videos.

11. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    I common request on these demos is to hear a live example. Well, here is a live Dive Bomb clip. Watch for the little blue light moving down on the Right side of the screen at the beginning....and crank the BASS

Muse-Intro-Dive Bomb

Sorry, the sweep did not come thru on the audio as well. I will search for a better clip of that.

12. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Can you add one to your left hand? Then you can hit an open string and wave both of your hands up and down together to create some wobbles or something.

13. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    That would work really well. I also have an EHX Freeze pedal. That way you can hold a note and do crazy stuff and the note will not fade away. I have the second one on the headstock so I can still play with both hands, almost like having a 3rd hand. But your idea would be the same and would make using the 2 axis the HH3 can output even easier. Currenlty I'm using the "Y" axis on the headstock HH3, and if there was a way to output the "Y" And "Z" axis at the same time rather than the "Y" and "X" like it curretly does, then I could do 3D/3 axis stuff better. I'm still trying to figure the best way to do that. What I'm talking about is using 2 Hot Hands to control 3 different pedals or 3 parameters. It can be done, but the configuration of axis outputs has me at a road-block at this time with it on the headstock. Mounting options are limited and also are the movements. But on your hands, anything goes.

14. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Sub'd.

Need Gigs likes this.
  15. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    How does the HH3 play with your Line 6 M5 without the Expressionator? After seeing your video, I am really excited about some HH3 options with the M5 pedal. Need to make sure they play well before I go get one.

16. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    It works fine. You just set the dip switches for Line 6 and plug the 1/4" jack with a standard 2 conductor patch cable into Line 6 exp input and go!!

I just added the Expressionator so I could send my HH3 to more than one pedal and Mission offers an adapter to convert the TRS to the TS (standard patch cable). So my dip switches are set to the default setting to control the BEF Pro and the adapter takes care of the Line 6. You could still have the HH3 hooked up to the BEF Pro and the M5 if you send the 1/4" to the M5 and the 1/8" to the BEF Pro. So many options!

17. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    It is also possible and effective to mount the ring on a headband. A bit strange, but not much worse than a bluetooth earpiece!

18. Head banging with expression???

19. What parameters do you control with your M pedal? I have an M9 and HH3, but haven't found an effective combo of the two since the effect of the hot hand only causes "spikes" in the expression when moving. Unless I'm doing it wrong?

20. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    ahhh, yes. You need to setup the 'depth' and 'smooth'. I usually have the 'Depth' all the way Left '-' and the 'Smooth' in the middle or the twelve-o'clock position. If you need to 'flip' the movement turn the 'smooth' all the way to Right '+'.

This is where the Expressionator readout helps, but the bar indicators on the Line6 screen will also help you dial it in.

So start with the Hot Hand flat on the table and set the parameters on Line 6, then move the Hot Hand up 90 degree and change the Line 6 setting to the extreme opposite. Now move the hot hand around and watch the Line 6 screen and notice when the dials change. If the axis is not working the way you like you may need the change the axis setting on the HH receiver (see manual).

let me know how this goes and I will try and help more