1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How about a list of EUB's?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by tplyons, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Hey, looks great!
    Can we get a closer look at the bridge/pickup setup, please?

Cheers,
    François

2. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Here are some detail shots. I struggled for a long time getting a decent sound and have changed the set up alot. The PU is a K&K Double Big Twin, when attached to the bridge, like a DB installation it was too powerful/sensitive and unbalanced. I consulted w/Bob Gollihur and he recommended placing the sensors under the bridge feet w/cork pads which I did, I tucked the remaining 2 sensors into the body cavity. The fingerboard, bridge and tailpiece is made from a composite wood/epoxy material which is super dense and stable. The body is made from Imbuya and red cedar, the neck is quatersawn maple. What I learned making this instrument is that there needs to be a certain amount of string dampening to replicate the sound of a UB. Most EUB and BG have excellent sustain which is not so desirable if you want it to sound like a UB which has a large body mass to dissipate string response. The other challenge is to get the open strings to have the same timbre as a "fretted" note. I now have a piece of foam placed up at the nut which dampens the open notes just enough to take out the excessive higher pitch.

3. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Here are a few more detail shots. The bass completely disassembles with knock down fasteners w/metal to metal connectors - it reassembles in minutes. The stand I purchased used from a drum store, it is a tom stand. I have since plugged the sound holes, this lowered the bass response even further. Overall I am pleased w/the out come. It was a big learning curve and now I would like to tackle a 3/4 DB size instrument.

4. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    This is the last detail shot showing the stand hardware. The block across the back is for the stand hardware as well as bracing against the string pressure exerted through the bridge/body. Inside the body is a small block of wood similar in function to a sound post that transfers the string pressure to the back. Without this block on the back the pressure would have popped the front and back - the thickness of these pieces is only 3/16".

5. Thanks!
    The grain of the bridge seems to be in the wrong direction.
    It should be perpendicular to the top, not vertical.
    It may break.

6. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    The bridge material is a composite wood/epoxy product called Dyamondwood. It is extremely dense, strong and stable. The working properties are similar to hard plastic. Grain direction is not an issue like it is w/natural wood

7. TCube

TCube

Sep 1, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have a Zeta Educator Uprite (41.5" scale). It sounds wonderful for salsa and hot swing with Velvet Garbo strings. Anyone else have one of these?

8. Lush find :)

9. It would seem that Harley Benton, an ubber cheap bass guitar and amp manufacturer are getting in on the EUB act, with a Palatino clone. Still, at £320 it's cheaper than the Palatino, just a different paint job! And probably just a rubbish ;)

10. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Oh, but it is a Palatino. Or a Bruck, Easton & Franklin, Straus, Riley or whatever sticker the distributor puts on it...

All churned out in the same factory in China.

11. That's what I suspected. It's a con though that the exact same instrument commands different prices simply because of a name difference!

12. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Don´t think it has to do so much with the name as with the various distributors´ purchase cost and profit margins, with national custom fees, sales taxes etcetera...

This applies to a lot of products sold, not only Pala-whatever EUBs...

13. paducah, you say? not too far from here at all ...

*scratches chin*

14. Red Lentil

Red Lentil

May 26, 2006
    Bill Paulin Basses are worth another look. Interesting design changes with the new body rest and the cutaway.

www.billpaulineubs.com

Attached Files:

15. DavidMP

DavidMP

May 8, 2006
    Alberta, Canada
  16. actionfighter

actionfighter

Apr 11, 2010
    Do you have a photo of your CCI bass? I'd love to see it. I have a CCI guitar.

100_8940-1.

100_8941-1-1.

17. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    It would be cool to give the link to your build thread. Alembic's Classico is really something.

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  19. mjacks120

mjacks120

Dec 3, 2011
    Austin Texas