1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How big is your dream band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. If your sound had nothing to do with how many people were in your band, what would be your ideal amount?

I'd probably say 4. Nice even number, great for hotels, restaurant booths, travelling, etc. Enough people to give you some variety in personalities, yet small enough to get to know everyone really well. Nice amount on stage too.

Interestingly enough, my band currently has 4 members. Albeit, we are currently lead-singerlist, so, we are hoping to gladly be able to add a 5th member again. :)

2. imagine this question on a guitarists site... one man band city? Poor guitarists!

3. 4-man with the singer playing rhythem guitar.

Less egos, still plenty of personality to go around.

And if the singer is playing rhythem guitar, s/he has something to do during the instrumentals/solos.

Sort of like MEtallica's/Megadeth's setup -- since James/Mustaine are both solid as hell on guitar too.

4. I miss playing in a big band jazz setting... Of course high school was almost twenty years ago- but I miss that huge horn section. The power you get out of a dozen or so people playing really hard and having fun... that is a hell of a lot of fun.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    For me, it'd probably be about 20 people. My current band is 18 people and its not as hard as it might sound so long as everyone does their own part. Then again, our percussion section is 4 people (2 drummers, steel drum, bongos) so we're a bit wasteful.

6. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I like a trio, which I'm in now. I like the challenge.

7. HotJuice

HotJuice

Feb 16, 2008
    Albany, New York
    I feel obligated to chime in.
    I'm in a 10 piece outfit
    (Two trumpets, Flute, Two Guitars, Drums, Bass, Keys, Vocals, Aux).
    I never thought it would work, but it does...
    But considering I've only met one sound guy who ever wanted to work with us without complaining ALL NIGHT, I'd say a three or four piece is truly ideal for the simplicity factor.

8. Fnord Explorer

Fnord Explorer

Feb 3, 2008
    Nibiru
    Five or six. I play in one band with five guys (guitar, vocals, bass, drums, and keyboards) and the other (which actually is all the same people in the other band +1) which is six guys (vocals, guitar, two "keytar" synth controllers, bass, and drums).

I like that set up. We do video projections as well so any more than that, while it would be cool (like an EWI player, for instance) would probably get too complicated. As it is, we have to do a lot of prep work and have to play in places where we can fit.

I like trios too. Always fun to step out a little every now and then. ;)

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    TWO - acoustic guitar + bass, both sing
    or
    THREE - electric guitar + bass + drums, all sing

10. 3. As few people as possible while still playing everything live. So power trio, King's X style.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Four ... Lead guitar, keys, bass and drums, all sing.

12. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    Really, I think two is perfect. A bass player, a keyboard player and a computer ... so maybe three.

13. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Haha! I know that look you must get from drummers!

:eyebrow:

14. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    I've gone through dozens of drummers, then got a laptop and haven't looked back.

15. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    3 or 4........4 tops.....I've been in bands in the past with more than 4 members and there were always problems.

16. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm currently fronting my own band, "The Phat Daddy Band", and it's a four piece which to me is ideal because everybody pulls their weight all the time and there's no Lead Singer's Disease because I'm a bassist before I'm a vocalist, and we bassists tend to be pretty humble. This band is my ideal in that everybody plays their a$$es of and sings pretty well, but I chose the songlist and book the gigs so I have a better say in what goes on than in previous projects. We are bass, drums, guitar and keys, I sing lead and everyone else sings backups. So far this is my dream band, we'll see how long it lasts.

17. ding_man

ding_man

Dec 24, 2006
    Celina, OH
    I like trios a lot.

18. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Trio. I currently play in a four piece. One guitarist is often away on business, so we often play as a trio. I prefer it, but I do miss the extra guitar.

19. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Four - Lead singer, 1 guitar, 1 bass & drums is cool too.

20. im quite happy being in a 5 piece band.