Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I plug my bass into my Mac?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bmc, Feb 22, 2004.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I own an iMac and really enjoy iTunes. I'd like to be able to plug my bass in to play along. What do I need to buy to do this?

bmc

2. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Does your Mac have sound in as well as sound out? I know the iBook only has sound out. Anyway, you're going to need some sort of preamp in between your bass and the Mac to boost the signal. Other than that you should be good to go. Bass > preamp > iMac

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I just have the 1/8" mic input jack, along with headphone out jacks. Standard USB inputs.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    No, he already has an 1/8 input, he doesn't need the iMic he needs the adaptor and a preamp, or software amplification, otherwise he won't get a signal.

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If you have GarageBand then all you need is the 1/4 to 1/8 converter. There are amps available in GB.

8. No, no, no! He'll need something to boost his signal before it gets to the computer! What people are talking about is a preamp such as a rack mount preamp, use the headphone 1/4" out jack, plug a 1/4" cable into that, and then buy and plug in a 1/4"-->1/8" adapter into your mic input jack on your iMac.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    No...if he has Garageband that's all he needs, Garageband has software amplification, quite good SW amplification too.