how do i get rid of these scratches?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Josh Emmons, Oct 7, 2011.

1. I can't believe this happened... My guitarist "friend" needed to use a bass. I let her use my Fender Jazz for a week, and she returned it to me in this condition... Who knows how it happened, but I got some finish scratches. They are not deep, but they make these annoying white lines. I do not have the money to refinish this, but I need them gone. how do i get rid of them for cheap? Also, its a burst finish, high gloss. (in case photos are missing)

how do i get rid of the scratches?

ScreenShot2011-10-07at124109PM.png ScreenShot2011-10-07at124056PM.png

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i just buff those type of scratches out on my buffing wheel i have the large 14" stewmac one and use menzerna compound sticks, but even a small tabletop one can handle those.

you can also do it by hand with some micro-mesh ultafine sanding cloth and then use meguiars #2 followed by meguairs #7, or their scratch remover followed with a good wax.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    +1^^^^^ if you have access to a buffer.

I would use 1000 grit wet, 1500 grit wet, 2000 grit wet, #7 rubbing compound, Meguiars Deep Crystal sealer, and Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax....I buff the rubbing compound and waxes with a 5" automotive random orbit buffer.

I also have 2 large (16" muslin buffing wheels, but I know most don't have access to these)

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you don't have access to the above equipment, andy competent repair person or body shop can be rid of those in about 30 minutes to an hour.

so take it there, and hand your "friend" the bill. While you're at it , ask her what she dragged your bass against, as that's obviously what those are from.

5. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Wouldn't just an automotive compound work?

6. From the pics, those scratches don't look too deep. They should buff out.

A cheap fix would be an automotive clearcoat scratch remover (like Nu-Finish Scratch Doctor), followed up with a quality carnauba wax (like Dunlop 65 Cream of Carnauba Wax).

Using clean soft cotton cloths and light pressure, apply in small circular motions. Don't press too hard or you'll leave swirl marks.

You may have to apply the scratch remover more than once, but with patience those scratches should come out.

Disclaimer: I am not a luthier, but I've successfully removed light surface scratches from my instruments this way.

7. This +1

8. kander

kander

Feb 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Those aren't scratches; that's mojo!

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I vote for taking it to a pro and making it crystal clear to your so-called "friend" that she is getting the bill.

And then never, ever, under any circumstances, allowing her to touch any of your belongings again.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Have your friend pay for the repairs, they caused the damage.

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Wait, 2 questions. Is op single and what's she look like? :p

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Your straplock button is also loose. You better tighten that before those scratches become the least of your problems. :meh:

13. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    +1

Took the words right out of my mouth. What a JERK this person is to do that to you! When a person is decent enough to lend something of value to another - that's a genuinely friendly, and trusting thing to do. To return it like that speaks louder than any middle finger.
    If she didn't offer to pay for the damage I certainly would give her the bill - but I would learn a very deep lesson that this person is not a friend. :rollno:

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wow, like i just pointed out in this thread, cause,
    and effect

15. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Their white scratches so their not through the clear. You can buff them out by hand in 20 min or less with some decent polish.

16. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    I use car polish. Like mothers as said above, or turtle wax. Make the paint really shiny too. I also use citrus cleaner on the bridge. Sparkly.

17. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    You can get rid of the scratches by making her buy the bass.

18. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Superficially, the scratches may be from "Wall Board" or some sheet-rock material with a white surface coat. But my gut says it's deep and the "white" is a element of the photograph & lighting. I could be wrong, happily.

If it's as nasty as I think it may be, a temporary cleanup and fill with a automotive wax MIGHT make the scratches less noticeable but modern clear coat can be very thick & if those scratches are at the wood line, that finish is ruined. The wax will rub off within a few days of playing. The idea of using a very well made buffer might be able to reduce the clear-coat down close to the level of the scratches but there always is the problem of how close it is to the wood. Even a random orbit wheel may take it very close to the wood so the next scratch would be a wood gouge. Plus there are SO MANY scratches, they take up a large area of the body.

I honestly hope I am wrong in this; but it appears that the body's finish is ruined in the long run. It might be that a light buff is better than a total attempt at eliminating all the scratches. If it was mine, I would opt for a light buff IF the scratches weren't simply white paint from wall-board.
    If it WAS the later, it could be made to disappear with a great deal of care.

19. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    In a pinch... cheap and available polishing compound = toothpaste

I've used toothpaste multiple times to polish up an area on basses that's gotten lightly scratched or marked from playing. Those marks may need something more than a light polishing compound though.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021