1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I make a Ripper Tone Choke?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xXxTWO FACExXx, Apr 19, 2010.

1. xXxTWO FACExXx

xXxTWO FACExXx

Oct 27, 2009
    I got a 78' body and neck off the bay and everyone says the hardest thing to find for the Ripper is the tone choke how would I go about making one? Would a guitar tech know what to do?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Do you have any idea what a tone choke is or what it does? There are plenty of people here in P&E or the Lutherie forums that could probably re-create it.

3. Well, a choke is an inductor coil used to block certain frequencies, so my guess would be a switch that puts an inductor in series with the signal or something of the sort?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    So it's essentially a LPF? Or is it frequency specific?

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just print this and give it to any reasonably competent tech. Someone with a Ripper can get you the inductor values....maybe Gibbenbacker has one he could reference ?

ripper-circuit.

6. Wait, there's an out of phase setting? That would effectively be a tone choke by itself!

7. Yeah, pretty much. :hyper:

8. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland

pm sent

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Plug it in & play it, the tone will choke all night long.

::::rim shot::::

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Thread hi-jack...

Does anyone know where to get an appropriate 4-position switch for one? I'm helping restore one for the son of a guy who was one of the cool older bassists when I started gigging out...

John

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Google search "4 position blade switch" or "4 position rotary switch"

I think 5-position switches are slightly more common, and you could always make position 5 a killswitch (aka, the ultimate tone choke).