Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Do I Synchronize My Recordings With Other Recordings I Make?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Jan 21, 2004.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    ok, this is what i do. i plug my bass into my digitech bp200 then i plug that straight into my computer. and that's how i record. i use sound studio software. lately i've been wanting to double track my recordings. for example, i play the guitar part for metallica's seek and destroy on my bass, then i'd like to come in and edit the bass part in over that. what i do is set up two different files, on one i record the guitar part, and on the other file, the bass part. but when i copy the bass part and try to paste it over the guitar part where i want it to come in, it doesn't go to that exact spot. i always press play for the guitar part to play then i press stop real fast where i'd like to edit in the bass. but it's always off by like a second or milisecond. am i doing something wrong? any suggestions?

2. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I don't know your software, but can you see both files as waves (in their individual tracks) and zoom in on them, so you can line up your cue points?
    In Cool Edit, you can do this, then mix the two tracks down to one track.

You've got a pretty "hands-on" way of going about that, it seems. Maybe your software is able to do something you don't know about!

Kind of new at this myself, but it couldn't hurt to throw this out I guess! Hope you get it worked out,

Rog.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When recording your guitar part, just listen to the bass part while you're recording, and play along with it on a separate track. Then you can edit each trach as you like. This assumes you don't have any latency problems in your 'puter.